Again, the mystery N/A

Options

As discussed in so many other threads, Quicken has (again) started changing the memo fields and occasionally Payee fields to N/A. And…none of those closed threads ever end with "thanks, that fixed it!"

Restore from backup, Validate, SuperValidate make no difference. In fact, as I make some corrections to manually fix the corrupted entries, I can see Quicken overwrite N/A.

Is there actually a solution out there, or a replacement suggestion? 30 years on Quicken and it's completely gone to crap over the last year or so.

TIA!

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Mark52,

Since you have already tried the first few recommendations (backup, validate, super validate, etc), I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Mark52
    Mark52 Member
    Options

Thanks Anja! I worked through this with Chat support, it turns out that the data file was indeed corrupted. In this case, we restored a month-old backup and simply downloaded/accepted/edited transactions.

I'll keep your suggestion in mind if there's a "next time".

In the meantime, I now run a backup every time I close Quicken AND have a recurring weekly reminder to close/restart Quicken. That should minimize pain if I have the same issue in the future.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear you were able to find a solution for it with chat support. 🙂

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.