edited April 9 in Investing (Mac)

This discussion was created from comments split from:

Cannot download Vanguard transactions

Comments

• DPW-CT
    DPW-CT Member ✭✭
    Options

What the difference between Vanguard and Vanguard Personal

All of a sudden some of my balances are double and I'm not sure how to fix it

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @David P. Wieder-ct,

Vanguard and Vanguard Personal are two different connection options in Quicken. Vanguard Personal allows connecting only via Quicken Connect, which usually isn't as good of a connection for investments as Direct Connect. The Vanguard connection option allows connecting by Direct Connect.

For the balances doubling issue, could you please provide more information? Is this happening with Vanguard accounts? Which connection are you using with Vanguard? Was there anything that triggered the balances to double (for instance, did you end up deactivating and reconnecting the problem account(s))?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• DPW-CT
    DPW-CT Member ✭✭
    Options

the issue may not have been doubling. It may have been the problem with how they put the values in for T bills and CDs.

if I am using Vanguard personal and I want to switch to Vanguard how can I do it and what are the implications for the accounts? I already have set up

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

To change the connection you are using, first backup your Quicken file. Once that is done, click on the account you want to change the connection for, to select it, then go to Accounts>Settings and select the Downloads tab. You should see a Change Connection button. Click that button.

It will bring you to a Change Connection window that functions very similar to the Add Account window. Search for Vanguard. Click to select the connection you want, then click the Continue button.

On the next screen, review the information, then click the Continue button.

When it asks you "How should Quicken connect?", make sure Direct Connect is selected, then click the Continue button.

It will ask you for your username and password. Follow the prompts and make sure to link your account to the correct existing account in Quicken.

Following those steps will allow you to change the connection your account uses, provided that the account type is supported by the connection you want to use.

To answer your question about implications for your accounts, whenever you reconnect/reset an account, there is a slight chance of duplicate transactions and/or an unnecessary placeholder. Once the accounts are reconnected, you would want to verify that the balances are correct. If anything is incorrect, the most likely culprit would be a duplicate transaction or unneeded placeholder, so those would be the first things to check for. Note: If you cannot see a transactions tab, then the accounts are using Simple tracking. To change to detailed, you would go select the account, go to Accounts>Settings, and on the Details tab, select Detailed for the tracking method.

Let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• DPW-CT
    DPW-CT Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you the result was duplicate holdings how can I correct this?

I got this message during the process for each account at vanguard (see screenshot)

I selected link -

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

By double holdings, do you mean it is showing the account connected to both Vanguard and Vanguard - Personal Investors? If so, then to correct that, you would backup your file and delete the duplicate accounts (the ones connected to Vanguard - Personal Investors).

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• DPW-CT
    DPW-CT Member ✭✭
    Options

no it does not appear that both accounts are connected. It just doubled the positions after I switched from Vanguard personal to Vanguard investments. Do you have a suggestion for how to fix this and if I just delete the account and re-add it will I lose some history.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

If you delete an account in Quicken, then all the data in that account will also be deleted (although you can recover it by restoring a backup if necessary).

Ideally, to keep from losing history, you would want to make sure the older account, the one with the history you don't want to lose, is the one that is connected in your Quicken, and then delete the other account as a duplicate.

Which of the accounts is currently connected? If it is the newer one that's connected, you may want to backup your file, deactivate that account, then connect the older account by going to Accounts>Add Account, following the prompts, and making sure to link to the correct account.

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

• DPW-CT
    DPW-CT Member ✭✭
    Options

there is only 1 account but it now has double positions see my previous comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

If the positions are doubled in the connected account, I'd recommend checking the transactions to see if there are any duplicate transactions or placeholder transactions causing the issue.

If that is what is causing the duplicate positions, then backup your file and delete the duplicates or placeholders as appropriate.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.