Opening a catagory by double clicking it in the account list?

Options
Don1948
Don1948 Unconfirmed, Member

I am trying to get my taxes ready for my accountant. I want to review the transactions in a category. It worked a couple of times by double clicking on the category in the category list. The next time I tried it it took me to my checking account register and changes the category name of a random entry in the register. Am I doing something wrong here? Please help

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Select the gear icon, and then Usage. When you want a report on the category usage select the usage count.

Double clicking on a category is for entering a transaction with that category.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can also get the information you are looking for by opening and customizing the Itemized Categories report.

Another option, if the category in question has been associated with the correct Tax line item, you can open the Tax Summary report which will show all transactions for a tax year that have that specific category. I find this report to be perhaps the most important one (the Tax Schedule report and Tax Planner tool are close 2nd's) for tax filing season.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Don1948
    Don1948 Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

thanks for the information. I guess there isn't a way to open a category to see what is in it without creating a report

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Don1948 You could do things like look filter the Spending tab, but unless you only have one or two categories it would be much more efficient to create a report.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you are looking to review transactions for a single category in a single account you can sort the account register by category by clicking on the category column header. I think that is about the closest Quicken can get you to seeing what you are wanting to review without pulling up a report and customizing it. Pulling reports and customizing is an easy and fairly quick process. And once you have it customized the way you want you can save it to My Reports for quick retrieval, just as you saved it, in future.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.