Remove Renewal Banner from my laptop Mac computer

Options
EEI
EEI Member ✭✭

I have been Apple/MacUser of Intuit/Quicken for over 30 years. In the past I have purchased new computers to accommodate Quicken updates when my older system version could no longer be updated due to architecture. A recent update in Quicken requires that I would have to buy an updated computer to continue to obtain Quicken updates. I have decided not to do this and have not renewed my subscription.

Quicken has decided to annoy me with a banner that covers 1/3 of the right side of my Quicken App to constantly seek my renewal. There is not an option for me to remove the banner. I have written Quicken and told them why I will not renew.

I called Quicken support and I requested that the annoying banner be removed. After a lengthy discussion, two solutions were provided. One was to renew and be reimbursed. The other was to download an older version of Quicken which would diminish the features I currently have. Neither of these options are acceptable.

I am left with a recourse to write Quicken Corporate Headquarters that the banner present on my app is causing diminished user friendly usage and that I should not have my screen partially blocked to attempt to force me to renew my subscription.

In the meantime, I will research using Quicken on the web as an alternative.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21
    Options

What do you mean by "Quicken on the web" are you talking about Quicken Simplifi (which is a subscription, and as I understand it if you let it expire it would mean no access at all to your data) or are you talking about the Quicken Mobile/Web app that is a companion to Quicken Desktop, and not a standalone application. As far I know you can't even use Quicken Mobile/Web with an expired subscription, it is one of the "online services" that is turned off.

(And to the SuperUsers, please don't come in and remark on the renewal banner, we all know that neither the user nor Quicken Inc are going to change their opinion on this, and it just is a useless discussion.)

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@EEI Depsite the admonition from Chris, I just want to briefly note that the policy on the renewal banner has been in place for the past seven years now since Quicken switched to subscription pricing. It's been well documented — and complained about — on this forum over the years, but perhaps you haven't visited this forum before.

All I can tell you from the viewpoint of a longtime Quicken observer is that Quicken isn't going to change their policy. Back in 2017, they were originally going to make Quicken read-only if you let your subscription lapse, but in the face of criticism, they created this "compromise" to allow users without subscriptions to be able to continue to use Quicken manually with the handicap of a renewal banner. Of course, it's not "user-friendly", but it only appears for people who have decided to stop paying and become ex-customers. They have not modified this policy, and have obviously decided that it does help drive some people to renew. You can write to corporate headquarters, but it won't accomplish anything.

As Chris notes, the "Quicken on the Web" is an add-on to your Quicken subscription; it's tied to a desktop Quicken data file, and you can't use online services without a subscription.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

A recent update in Quicken requires that I would have to buy an updated computer to continue to obtain Quicken updates. 

Please help with some details -
    What MacOS are you using ?
    What version of Quicken ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• EEI
    EEI Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Chris and Jacobs for your comments. I found out after I wrote my message that I don't have access to quicken from any source. I did not have a need to see previous comments about the banner because I have used Quicken since just about its inception and since its subscription requirement. However, for the reasons given, I do not plan to renew my subscription.

I bought the quicken app separately from using quicken. Jacobs states "to allow users without subscriptions to be able to continue to use Quicken manually". What right does Quicken have to access my app with a banner when I don't have a subscription contract with them? I can use the app as a standalone without ever accessing any of quicken's systems. While this causes a significant burden to me by having to manually input transactions from my accounts, I am not going to be forced to buy a new computer and renew my subscription just to obtain quicken updates and features. this should be a customer option without the banner obstruction and penalty. My primary use of Quicken was to be able to download transactions from my accounts.

It seems to me for "all of us" with older computer architecture, that quicken could make their updates backward compatible for these subscribers. I say this out of ignorance of the maintenance cost vs subscription payments received.

Why would quicken do it in such an obtuse way making some past customers upset even though they can request my renewal via email and text? Ok so it forced some to renew but the absence of updates and features vs renewal should be my decision without this penalty.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I bought the quicken app separately from using quicken.

I don’t know what you mean here. If you have purchased Quicken since subscriptions began in late 2017, you purchased a license which enabled you to download and use Quicken Mac, Quicken Windows, the Quicken mobile app companion, and the Quicken web interface.

What right does Quicken have to access my app with a banner when I don't have a subscription contract with them?

If you purchased a license for Quicken prior to 2017, that license allowed you to use the application indefinitely, but all connected services (including importing downloaded data files) ceased to work after three years. If you purchased a subscription to Quicken from late 2017 on, you purchased a license to use the software for the duration of your subscription (generally for one year). Quicken has what they call their “data access guarantee” which states you can continue to use the software to access your data, without any connected services, if your subscription expires. Part of that license agreement spells out that they can insert messaging about “Quicken offers” — renewal notices — on the screen if your subscription has lapsed. So what right do they have? Because it’s in the user license you agreed to when you purchased your subscription.

Why did they implement the obtrusive banner for their messaging. I can’t speak for Quicken’s marketing executives, but I assume it’s because it drives a significant number of renewals. And they must feel they have no reason to be loyal to those who choose not to renew, and are thus no longer paying customers.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.