Accept multiple transactions against the same entry

Options

When I order things online, I enter the transaction in my register. However, more and more frequently now vendors split up the order into several transactions. It would be helpful if we could "manually match" several downloaded transaction against one register entry.

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For my Amazon orders, if and when they get split into multiple partial orders and their own, separate credit card charges, I always record the order into a helper account, "Personal Accounts Payables", first. (This account register is an Offline (manual) checking account)
    When the partial shipments are charged to my credit card, I transfer the charge to the helper account. Here's an example:

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21
    Options

EDIT: It might not be clear, I was referring to the original idea, not @UKR 's suggestion. I think @UKR 's suggestion is the right way to go. I don't think the original suggestion is doable.

I don't see how this idea would work.

If someone is manually entering a transaction for an Amazon purchase and say it has two items in it:

You enter that as one transaction. I see two ways one might enter that. As a single line/amount or a split.

But the main thing to understand is that the downloaded transactions are guaranteed to come down at the same time, and that you can't match to a split line. And you can't have a "partially cleared" transaction.

So, just imagine what a mess this would be "in between downloading the two different transactions", not to mention if one of the shipments end up being canceled.

Do you envision people would leave their account unreconciled until all the parts of the order are downloaded?

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, that's what has been working for me for many years.
    The entire order is recorded in the helper account with appropriate category splits.
    When the individual packages and their credit card charges arrive, they are recorded in the credit card account as transfers to the helper account.
    I know that an order has completely arrived when the helper account's balance goes back to 0.00
    And reconciling the credit card account to the monthly statement is no issue at all.

Yes, I could say "forget about it" and record each partial shipment as if it was its own complete order, but I like to do it my way …

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@UKR your approach will also handle returns smoothly, when Amazon records it as a credit but does not issue a credit to your card.

QWin Premier subscription