How can I stop Quicken Mac from removing downloaded transactions it thinks are duplicates

Options
Zain
Zain Member ✭✭

I'm running Quicken Mac Classic Premier Version 7.4.2 (Build 704.51578.100) on macOS 12.4.

For the last few weeks Quicken has been removing downloaded transactions that it thinks are duplicates but are in fact correct. I have several cases where I incur, and am expecting to see, the same amount charged from the same vendor several times a week or once a week. However Quicken is stripping out these legitimate transactions and they are missing from my register.

This happens on four different accounts (three credit card accounts and one bank account). These accounts are from three different financial institutions (Amex, BOA, Chase). In all but one case (see below), the transactions are from the same vendor and for the same amount, with the first transactions accepted by Quicken and the following ones dated a few days or a week later automatically deleted so that they are missing from my register.

The one exception is for a charge for $250 from one vendor that was downloaded correctly and the second transaction also for $250 but from a DIFFERENT vendor and dated 8 days later, missing from my register.

This is incredibly frustrating and makes reconciling my accounts a real headache.

I assume this "feature" deleting suspected duplicates was built into Quicken to handle download errors where a single legitimate transaction is downloaded multiple times. I assume each actual transaction from a financial institution would have a unique transaction ID and if so surely Quicken should only delete suspected duplicates that have the same transaction ID?

If there is a true case of a duplicate transaction being charged to one of my accounts, I would like the duplicate(s) to appear in Quicken also, so that I can be alerted to the fact that there are duplicate charges appearing in my account with that financial institution.

How can I get this feature switched off in Quicken? I can't seem to find a user setting in Quicken Preferences.

Thanks … Zain

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I assume this "feature" deleting suspected duplicates was built into Quicken to handle download errors where a single legitimate transaction is downloaded multiple times.

Actually, it should not work that way. Every transaction that's downloaded has a unique ID number, the FITID (Financial Institution Transaction ID). Each financial institution is responsible for generating a unique number to add to every transaction. Quicken uses these numbers to identify when a downloaded transaction is new or has been downloaded previously, not the amount.

So obviously something is going wrong, but it's hard to determine the source of the problem. There are many reports on this forum of missing transactions, but it's not clear whether these are all part of one larger problem, or are similar but discrete problems. In some cases, it's the financial institution not generating unique numbers for every transaction. Or perhaps there's a problem in the code on Quicken's servers which is somehow identifying transactions as duplicates when they aren't. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with their attempts to manage the download of transactions which start out as pending and are then changed to posted transactions.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This a problem that has been reported numerous times. More on the Windows side, but also on the Mac side. And even Mac users reporting it the Windows threads. This is definitely a "server problem", and it isn't a "feature" or how anyone including Quicken Inc expects it to work.

Until the problem is fixed there isn't really much people can do other than entering the missing transactions manually.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

BTW without asking and you mentioning it, I can be 99.9999% sure that the problem is only with Quicken Connect accounts, right?

That is why a server is involved Direct Connect would be between Quicken (the program) and the financial institution. And even though Quicken Connect does have unique Id, they aren't the FITIDs that you would see in the logs for Direct Connect and in a Web Connect/QFX file.

On Quicken Windows the ones coming from Quicken/Intuit servers are in the "Cloud Sync Log" instead of the OFX log. I don't know how Quicken Mac logs these.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Zain
    Zain Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks https://community.quicken.com/profile/jacobs and https://community.quicken.com/profile/Chris_QPW . And Chris, yes all the problem accounts are Quicken Connect accounts, and now that I think about it, this problem may have started as those accounts were migrated by Quicken to QC. I will reach out directly to Quicken support

• NealJF
    NealJF Member
    Options

I'm on Quicken chat about this issue right now, a Quicken Connect account with FNBO. Ridiculously, Quicken has no sort of "ticket" system for help requests, requiring you to wait with a chat agent while they have a separate conversation with a "support agent" you are not privy to, to discuss whether the issue should be escalated. I provided them a link to this thread to show it's not just my problem.

This discussion has been closed.