Locating Quicken.ini files in Mac

Rdecker664
Rdecker664 Quicken Windows 2017 Member

I currently have quicken 2017 on my macbook Pro and have just purchased a new Laptop running Windows 11. I just bought quicken 2017 for windows and loaded onto the new PC. I am getting a white screen wheni go to open the program. After doing some reading this seems to be a common problem. One possible fix is to copy the Quicken.ini from the old computer and use that to replace the ini file on the new computer. The problem is i cant seen to locate this type of file on the Mac. Am i missing something to am i out of luck? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Mac OS doesn't use .INI files, it has a different way of storing app preferences & settings.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
  • jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Thanks, @Chris_QPW. We Mac folks don't know anything about .INI files!

@Rdecker664 The issue you're facing is that the program wants to have you authenticate Quicken 2017, but that's a long-unsupported program, so you can't just log in with your Quicken ID and carry on. The process Chris describes in his link makes sense to me as a possible work-around, but as he concludes, if it doesn't work, you may be unable to get started using Quicken 2017.

In this case, I think you have one other work-around strategy: you could purchase a subscription, convert your Quicken Mac data, cancel your subscription for a refund, download and install the freely-available Quicken 2013 (which pre-dates the use of Quicken IDs), and open your converted data file in Quicken 2013 to use going forward. Of course, you'd lose any improvements made over the past decade, but many Quicken windows users feel they aren't needed.

In any case, you might want to post any additional questions over in the Quicken Windows part of the forum, where a lot of the knowledgeable Quicken Windows users will be more likely to see your posts. Best of luck!

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭

@jacobs - if you're suggesting to ultimately use the Q2013 program -
    why go thru the effort of even touching the current version of Quicken ?

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@jacobs - if you're suggesting to ultimately use the Q2013 program - 
    why go thru the effort of even touching the current version of Quicken ?

Because the user is coming from Quicken Mac. You can't convert from Quicken Mac to Quicken Windows 2013. So I was throwing out the idea of going from Quicken Mac to Quicken Windows (subscription) to Quicken Windows 2013.

I have very limited Quicken Windows knowledge, but I think I've read that users can use a current Quicken Windows data file on the decade-old Quicken Windows 2013. (In Quicken Mac, it is impossible to use a newer data file in an older version of the program, because the developers constantly change the database format as they add new features to Quicken Mac.) If there's a better way to go, if the user is unable to get Quicken Windows 2017 running, by all means, post it to help them.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭

oops - missed the very first posting about Win11 and “purchasing Quicken 2017” -

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Actually, I believe it was Quicken Windows 2012 that was the first version to be able to import a QXF file (which is what Quicken Mac puts out to convert to Quicken Windows). I think they did even have it improved a bit for Quicken Windows 2013 but remember this is back when it was Quicken Mac Essentials, so no support for investment accounts. On the other hand, even in the newest/Quicken Subscription version investment account conversion is "iffy". And I can tell you that Quicken Windows 2017 is worse for this than Quicken Windows 2013, they broke this for years.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.