Different category rule for same payee if from different account?

Options
Kash
Kash Member ✭✭

Title says it. Is this possible?

I manage my parent's finances.

If I shop at CVS with my credit card, I want it to auto categorize as Self:Pharmacy

If my parents shop at CVS with their credit card, I want it to categorize as Parents:Pharmacy.

Tagged:

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, for starters, your parent's data shouldn't be in YOUR Q data file.

The best practice is that the file contains the info for a single tax entity, and your parent's are a different entity.

With their data in a different file, what you request is easy. In a single file, you'd need a slightly different name for CVS for your parents. Categories are universal, not account specific.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Kash
    Kash Member ✭✭
    Options

Oh I guess one way to handle what I want would be to let CVS be the same category for transactions from both accounts, but when I generate reports, I exclude one account or the other. Is that what would be recommended?

• Kash
    Kash Member ✭✭
    Options

@NotACPA Interesting point about different tax entities having different quicken files. Does that mean I would have to have to pay for multiple subscriptions? Because that's what I'm trying to avoid.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No. You can have many data files. You need to make a new file for them. You could either start a new file by going up to File-New or you could copy your file then delete all your accounts or their accounts so you split it up and have 2 files.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Note if you go the route of copying your data file and deleting what isn't wanted, make sure you are using:

File → Copy of Backup File → Create a copy or template

This will ensure that the two different data files are completely separate. If you copy a data file in Windows File Explorer, it will have the same unique Id and will be referring to the same Quicken Cloud dataset which can cause all kinds of problems.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.