is there any way to add a bond index

therbert
therbert Quicken Windows Other Unconfirmed ✭✭
edited March 26 in Investing (Windows)

is there any way to add a bond index for comparison?
the ones loaded are only equities and would be nice to compare against splits. any thoughts?

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You can't add that index directly, but maybe you can kind of hack your way into getting it.

Add iShares Core US Aggregate Bond Index (AGG) to your security list. (Or choose your favorite ETF that tracks that index.) Change its Security Type to Market Index.

For me, this gets AGG to show in the list of indexes in the Growth of $10k graph.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Add it to where? And which index?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• therbert

for example, Bloomberg U.S. Aggregate Bond Index
    when invested 70/30 a straight comparison to the s&p is meaningless, or at least, not much meanful.

so, to add it to the indexes for comparison

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta

@therbert - go to your security list and click on "Add Security". Then type in "index:". You should then see a list of indices available. Add the ones you want, but be sure to only choose those that begin with "INDEX:" and set them up on Quicken with a security type of "Market Index".

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25

What's the symbol? And where do you want to see it?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• therbert
    LBUSTRUU:IND

it won't pull in in securities. i would like it as an index choice.
    i did find a way around it. by editing the list of securities in the performance tab to eliminate the bonds for comparison purposes. However…. you can't save the select list. which is very frustrating. that should be an easy ask

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓

You can't add that index directly, but maybe you can kind of hack your way into getting it.

Add iShares Core US Aggregate Bond Index (AGG) to your security list. (Or choose your favorite ETF that tracks that index.) Change its Security Type to Market Index.

For me, this gets AGG to show in the list of indexes in the Growth of $10k graph.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• therbert

you are good!
    note, when i add agg it reads as ishares core u.s. aggregate. did you rename or is that something different?

to my other issue, can you name a select list of securities for comparison? mucking with 375 securites is a bit taxing.

• Rocket J Squirrel

I entered AGG, and that's the name Quicken assigned to it. I don't know why; maybe I fat-fingered something. I deleted the security and tried again and this time got the same security name you did.

Sorry, can't help with your other issue, I've never delved into it.

• therbert

thank you so much. you were awesome!

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

AGG is an ETF that tracks the Barclays Aggregate Bond index, so it would be a good stand-in for the actual index. If you want Quicken to treat it as an index and not the ETF, set the Security type to Market Index.

Note that this does not include reinvested dividends.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman

If you want a benchmark for a balanced portfolio to compare to your portfolio in Quicken, you can use a balanced index fund like VBIAX or one of the Vanguard Lifestyle funds, and set the fund type to Market Index. Again this will not include dividends.

• therbert

how do you handle reinvested dividends in Iras? Just curious

• Jim_Harman

Currently I do not reinvest dividends in my IRA because I use the cash for RMDs. When I was younger I reinvested then.

• therbert

yes I’m coming to the conclusion it’s really a mute point once you’re “of age”. But the nerd in me would like it to balance to brokerage statements.

• Jim_Harman

What do you want to balance to brokerage statements?

As long as the share balances and cash balance agree, I would say the account is reconciled.

Or do you want some performance measures to agree?

This discussion has been closed.