System
System Member admin

This discussion was created from comments split from:

Citi Connection updated - Now all transactions hit wrong account

Comments

• oakgrrl
    oakgrrl Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm an OG Quicken user. Pretty much all I ask any more is that it give me a correct balance on all my accounts. Somehow this Citi connection update caused it to assign a bunch of transactions to the wrong categories. The credit card payments are handled as transfers between the card and the checking account. What it did was incorrectly categorize transactions so that the payment would be to the wrong credit card, not just Citi. It took me hours, over several days, to sort it out. I ended up doing a balance adjustment to the Citi account to get it to match the online balance, because I didn't want to go back to 2019 (the start of this file) to track it down.

I hate it when people come into forums all mad and threaten to stop using the app or smash the item or whatever, but at this point I am wondering if a spreadsheet would be less work, because I frequently have to log on to the bank and credit card websites to figure out what Quicken decided to do. It's not just the Citi download update, it seems to "remember" or somehow decide to categorize some transactions randomly. I try to watch it closely but sometimes one slips past me.

Is there an option to not use the categories at all? I already have the automatically categorize downloaded transactions turned off but it still does it.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @oakgrrl,

Data in your file shouldn't change like that when you change the connection method on an account (or multiple accounts). Probably not very helpful after you've already spent hours correcting it, but generally the simplest way to fix it when an issue like that happens is to restore a backup from before the issue started.

You mentioned that you have "automatically categorize transactions" turned off in your Preferences. Do you have renaming rules turned on? Did the incorrect categories issue start when you migrated your Citi account(s) to the new connection method, or is this an issue that predates that?

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.