Why does Quicken keep hanging and crashing during one-step-update?

Options

I have had this happen multiple times now, with different versions of Quicken. Each time it happens, I cannot recover my file and I have to recover from backup. And I use Quicken check pay - which does not deal well with checks it cannot identify. So if I sent a check pay during the session, I eventually have to manually repair sync with Quicken Check pay - but the checks dont really get corrected. I have to cancel them all and reissue them all. It is a huge frustration and enough to drive me to another solution if there was any competition whatsoever. I have used Quicken for over 20 years and this is about to drive me to quit and go to paper.

If I am doing a one-step update and I let it run in background and switch to my browser to do some other work while it processes, I return to see the one-step-update screen with a spinning circle. It never completes. Once I either kill the process or restart my computer, when I try to launch the file, the program crashes. It also crashes if I try to validate or super-validate the file. I have no choice but to go to backup.

Can you please fix this issue? There is no reason that I should have to sit and let my computer process and not multi-task with a 6 CPU machine with 32Gb of RAM. Yet I cant run anything else with Quicken?

I have no other issues with any other programs or multi-tasking. Only with Quicken, and reliably and repeatably for many months now.

By the way, this problem is on my Windows machine, but since I am logged into my Mac the forum is forcing me to post it here. Im waiting for my machine to try a super-validate and then I have to reboot it. As I stated above, Im worried that I need to completely leave my machine alone while running Quicken because it just cant tolerate returning from background in some unknown circumstances.

Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @pbrpwnel,

To help troubleshoot this issue, please provide more information. When did you first notice this issue? Does this happen only when using One Step Update in the background while using other programs? You mentioned that it never completes; about how long have you waited before force closing the program or restarting the computer? When you say the program crashes after, do you mean it crashes after you force close or restart the computer? Does it work properly after the first crash, or does it keep crashing until you restore a backup? How often does this happen (for instance, does it happen every time you have One Step Update running while you use a different program)?

Having your Quicken file on a shared hard drive or synced to a cloud service can sometimes cause unexpected/unwanted behaviors. If you have the file shared/synced, please try moving it directly to your C drive and keeping it unsynced from any cloud service to see if that prevents the issue. The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.