Problem Updating 401(k) Holdings

Options
No Nonsense
No Nonsense Member ✭✭
edited April 9 in Investing (Windows)

I attempted to use Update 401(k) Holdings for my 12/31/23 quarterly statement. During the quarter, there were (3) transfers from one fund to another as a result of fund closures within my employer's plan.

I followed the instructions presented in sequence during the update. At the end, I verified the balance in each fund (including those that are now zero as a result of the fund closure) and the overall total for the balance in my account. However, after all that work, the update crashed.

I attempted this same process in January after receiving the 12/31/23 statement and sent two crash reports but have not received a response. I hoped this issue may have been resolved by now, which is why I attempted again today, but it persists. This is very disappointing and I would like a resolution. 😡

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited March 3
    Options

Hello @No Nonsense,

To help troubleshoot this issue, please provide more information. Did you first notice this issue with the program crashing on 31 Dec 2023? Is updating holdings the only thing that triggers the program to crash? If not, what else triggers it? Was there anything else that happened around the same time as this problem began (such as program or computer unexpectedly shutting down, power outage, program update, etc)? Having your Quicken file on a shared hard drive or synced to a cloud service can sometimes cause unwanted/unexpected behaviors. If you have the file shared/synced, try moving it directly to the C drive and keeping it unsynced to see if that resolves the issue.

Please note that you will not receive a direct response to crash reports. To clarify; while you do not receive a response for these reports, these submissions do go directly to a database that is accessible by members of our Product and Development teams, escalation teams, and other internal support channels.

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• No Nonsense
    No Nonsense Member ✭✭
    Options

I first noticed this issue in January 2024 while using Update 401(k) Holdings and my statement from 12/31/23. I am not having crashes with any other features and nothing was running on my computer at the time, such as updates, and there were no power outages or shut downs.

I run the Classic version and the only file instance is on the C: drive on my computer. I do not have a shared hard drive and it is not synced to the cloud. (I back up my files locally to an external drive.)

As I mentioned earlier, I tried this process twice in January and sent crash reports both times. I tried it again on March 2nd and Update 401(k) Holdings crashed again. Thanks for trying to help me resolve this issue.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

The most common cause of crashing is file-specific issues. To troubleshoot, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.