Desktop Issues

Options
JohnGW9
JohnGW9 Member ✭✭

As of yesterday (3/2) the program hangs when attempting to load. It's as if there is no connection to the cloud based data file. I don't find any information on anyone with similar a issue. A clean reinstall and any of the canned fixes have been no help. I do not get any error codes, just a 'the program is not responding' dialog after clicking anywhere in the program shell.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is the data file size getting larger and larger when the file is hanging?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Your primary data should NOT be used from the cloud … for pretty much this reason.

You can store backups in the cloud, and you can download from the cloud, use the file on your computer and restore to the cloud … but don't use from the cloud directly.

Do you have a data file that's actually on your PC?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• JohnGW9
    JohnGW9 Member ✭✭
    Options

No, I don't believe it is, just doesn't seem to be loading when the programs boots.

• JohnGW9
    JohnGW9 Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, the primary file is on the PC.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What happens if you disable (the Windows setting, not pulling out the cable) your network connection (wired and wifi)?

What happens if you hold down the CTRL key when you double click on the Quicken icon?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JohnGW9
    JohnGW9 Member ✭✭
    Options

No change. Programs open, asks for the file password and stops

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3
    Options

What happens were you to try to open the local copy of the file (ie., move file that is currently in the cloud directory to your desktop and have Quicken try to open that file)?

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@JohnGW9 - have you tried restoring from a backup file from before when this issue started?

• JohnGW9
    JohnGW9 Member ✭✭
    Options

Start the program, it asks for the password and accepts it, then nothing. Was working as it should 2 days ago.

• JohnGW9
    JohnGW9 Member ✭✭
    Options

This issue just started. I can't get to anything on the blank shell so I cannot restore.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you tried deleting and reinstalling Quicken?

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 3
    Options

@JohnGW9 - you can restore a backup file even if you are unable open your data file in Quicken. Go to your backup files. Choose one that is the closest before the issues occurred. (or any one you want but before the issues). Remove the backup extension "-backup" and resave the file. Make sure the file is on your c:\ drive. Double click on the file and see if it opens in Quicken.

• JohnGW9
    JohnGW9 Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes. Fresh install this morning, no change

• JohnGW9
    JohnGW9 Member ✭✭
    Options

No. When started the program goes to a blank screen after inputting the password. No title bar, no menus, nothing.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Okay, one more idea. Have you tried a different computer to zero in on whether the problem is the date file or the install (i.e., your computer)?

• JohnGW9
    JohnGW9 Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't have that option. The last time I updated it was Friday 3/1 with no issues and now it's hanging for some reason.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@JohnGW9 One last idea. Do you have an older backup file that you try?

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What happens if you set your computer date back to a date before the issue started?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you rebooted your computer? That can clear up a lot of things.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• JohnGW9
    JohnGW9 Member ✭✭
    Options

No change. The program does not load.

• JohnGW9
    JohnGW9 Member ✭✭
    Options

Many times. Removed and load a clean install, no change

• JohnGW9
    JohnGW9 Member ✭✭
    Options

Called support this morning. Was told there were no issues with the program and it must be my computer or setup. Allowed the tech to connect to my machine and as we waited for the program to load he said he had just come across a new issue related to the latest update and Windows 11. No fix available and no time frame given. Seems to have been corrected sometime this morning EST.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@JohnGW9 thrilled that it is working for you now.

This discussion has been closed.