My backups to a local drive E: - FAILING

Options

I get the following

BUT when I look at my drives directory, the BU is there… Any ideas????

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @JimPeek,

When did this issue begin to occur? After a recent update? To clarify, you are receiving this message however your backups are successfully saving to your local drive?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What is the complete path to the backup file destination?
    Can you show us image snapshots of Windows File Explorer showing the data file location as well as the backup file location?
    What is the backup file size? (Roughly) The same as the actual data file?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

what version of Windows - 10 or 11 -

there are a variety of issues with folders that are grabbed by Microsoft OneDrive -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• JimPeek
    JimPeek Member
    Options

The problem has been happening for several months now. The backup drive is the E: drive of the computer and is a part of the PC running Quicken. Only error message is the screen shot I included in initial message. My current method of BU is to just copy the ENTIRE Quicken file to a different drive with the date as part of the file name.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

guesss you missed the question about what version of Windows - 10 or 11 -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@JimPeek have you tried Validating your data file? That seemed to fix the issue for other users who have gotten the "Unable to create destination file" error message.

Validate:

1. Go to File in Menu Bar
    2. Click Validate and Repair File...
    3. ChecK Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

Super Validate:

1. Go to File in Menu Bar
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Check Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

After the validates have completed, I would close and restart Quicken and then try the file backup again.

• JimPeek
    JimPeek Member
    Options

Attempted the "validate" both ways (regular and super) and that did not work… Still get the error message that the backup did not work, but when I look in the directory where the backup was to be created, it IS there.

• JimPeek
    JimPeek Member
    Options

also am running Windows 11 Pro v23H2 with all updates applied…

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@JimPeek if you save your backup file to the C:\ drive, do you still get that error message? From what you wrote about the issue, the E:\ drive is not an external drive, or a separate internal drive, but a partition of internal drive?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

was wondering if the E: drive is being backed up by OneDrive as a cloud backup ?
    I think Win11 was more aggressive about what was being selected and grabbed for OneDrive backups.
    The Quicken backup might get created - closed - and then ??? - that causes a conflict with OneDrvice IF the E: drive is being backed up.
    Check if and what OneDrive might be selecting for auto backups.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.