qif downloads importing directly into account once opened, without "accept" feature?

Options

Pentagon Federal Credit Union stopped ability to be linked for updates last year - that's for another time.

Have been downloading transactions from the accounts and then opening the file; instead of the linked account updates, instead of being able to "accept","decline""accept all""decline all" , it posts them into the acount automatically - causing a bucket load of duplicates if I've done manual entries - I don't see where I changed any settings, and other linked accounts still create the download "window" where I can review the transaction - Is this just pentagon federal being jacked up???

Answers

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 9
    Options

@Joe Mineart - please confirm which file you are using QIF or QFX. If you are downloading transactions from a FI a QFX is usually used, but you can use a QIF. Have you uploaded this file previously and were you able to review transactions that time?

• Joe Mineart
    Joe Mineart Member ✭✭
    Options

This FI transmits .QIF - LOOKED up in my downloads folder - all my downloads, manual or through the Quicken Deluxe "auto update" feature are getting .QIFs from banks and fund web sites - after I open the .QIF in Quicken, the "QIF IMPORT" window opens - lets me map it to the correct account - the download file location and file are correct;

Of the 6 boxes I have "transactions" and "special handling for transfers" checked down in that bottom section labelled "INCLUDE IN IMPORT"

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Joe Mineart a FI sending a QIF is unusual and cumbersome. What you describe is what is usually done for conversions, account fixes, and maintenance. I myself have never heard of an FI using a QIF as an update file.

Are you retrieving this QIF file from your online account with Pentagon Federal Credit Union?

• Joe Mineart
    Joe Mineart Member ✭✭
    Options

yes-have been using QIF format from sites from the get; my pull down menu options from this site are:

CSV / QIF / QFX [web connect]

is QFX a format that will interact with QUICKEN? I have not ever looked up what format QFX delivers in

• QuickUserPSP
    edited March 9
    Options

@Joe Mineart you should be using the QFX file for updates to Quicken. You will find that it is much easier to use than a QIF file. When you download the QFX file, it will load to Quicken automatically or save a QFX file to your download folder. Click on the QFX file and if it's the first time, you will get a dialogue box to link the file to the appropriate account on Quicken. After the link is established, each time the file is uploaded it will automatically download transactions to that account. If you have your accounts set up to review transactions before posting, the QFX file will do the same.

• Joe Mineart
    Joe Mineart Member ✭✭
    Options

outstsnding - giving it a whirl on one now……..

• Joe Mineart
    Joe Mineart Member ✭✭
    Options

best day ever!!!!

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Joe Mineart glad it worked!

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

QIf files being automatically entered into a register without user acceptance is a "feature" they introduced with Subscription Quicken and there is nothing you can do about it.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Joe Mineart
    Joe Mineart Member ✭✭
    Options

Not a feature I find beneficial

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The truth is that the Moderators have never called it a "feature". It was a give and take compromise.

Starting in Quicken 2004 Intuit was trying to "discourage" the use of QIF in favor of QFX. That is why between Quicken 2004 to 2007 you were blocked from importing a QIF file into account types other than asset and liability in the GUI. That could be bypassed by having the account name and type in the QIF file, but clearly that was only because of a tricky workaround their blocking.

In Quicken Subscription the "give" was to remove that GUI blocking, the remove was to do any processing with those imported transactions (but for some reason automatic transfer matching was missed and still happens). And at the time the moderators stated it something like this "QIF importing was kept so that people could change over from other personal finance software". With that goal there is no reason for matching existing transactions or processing them or allowing interaction by the user. One could even argue that not having any interaction/processing it best because if I import into 100 accounts for the purpose of just switching programs, I really don't want to go to 100 accounts and select Accept All.

Note that they purposely didn't put QIF importing into the rewrite of Quicken Mac. And when then finally changed that, you can only "create a new data file" by importing a QIF file.

I think that pretty much sums up their viewpoint on this.

This has nothing to do with "features", it has to do with driving their product to where they want to be/support.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.