Inflation report

Options
Karyl Wilson
Karyl Wilson Member ✭✭✭
edited April 13 in Reports (Windows)

I would love a report that is specifically for inflation. I can set up a report, but since reports no longer works correctly you can save them. And when setting them up Quicken decides which items to include in the reports. I clear all categories, and pick the ones that I want (very time consuming to scroll through the whole list, search doesn't work.) I run the report and Quicken adds about 20 categories to the report that I did not pick. And leaves off most of the ones I did.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would love to hear about how you think you can setup an inflation report. I have thought about this a lot, and I have found it impossible.

Even though since we have been semi-retired for a number of years and pretty much do the same things, there is no way that I can say definitively that we buy the exact same things in same quantity over any given period of time. To calculate inflation, you have to compare apples to apples. and in this case that means you have to buy the same things in the same quantity in two or more time periods.

You can get a report of X category being higher or lower, but trying to pin down if that is actually inflation is another story.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can download all sorts of consumer price index data at https://www.bls.gov/data/ but I don't think there is any way in Quicken to compare your spending to an index; you would have to export to Excel and do the analysis there.

To @Karyl Wilson s issues, have you tried going to Edit > Preferences > Early access and un-checking both the Reports and Graphs Center and Customize reports boxes? That switches back to the old reports interfaces and should be less buggy.

Also if unwanted Categories are being included in reports, try going to the Categories customization tab. Before selecting the Categories you want to include, select Include transactions with any Category and check the Show hidden Categories box, then click on Clear all. That should clear all the Category selections, so only the ones you select are included in the report.

Please let us know the details of any report customization issues that remain.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Karyl Wilson
    Karyl Wilson Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I had already unclicked the reports and graphs a couple months ago. I will try the other the second one seems to work. I will keep trying to see if it stays.

• Karyl Wilson
    Karyl Wilson Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Chris, I spend almost the exact same amount of money every year. I pretty much buy the same groceries. I have my food categories broke down very detailed. Some other categories as well. The one way I could think of to do it is pick the categories I want to track and us a tag to make it part of an inflation report. And then compare from year to year. I need to figure out how I got a comparison report years ago, that didn't compare every year to a prior year. For example: I buy a loaf of Sarah Lee Bread on a certain date 1 year, and compare that to the price of the current year. Or the cost of an oil change. Price of a movie. A Wendy's meal. There are some things that can be compared. I am lazy, I would rather hit a button and the report pops up. 😁

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm even lazier than you, I have never taken the time to break out my expenses in such details. I guess that is main reason I fail at this. 😁

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I split my Kroger bill to reflect Groceries (all one category), Housewares, Wine, etc … but I don't reflect the purchases of milk vs vegetables … those all all Groceries to me.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.