Works as expected on Mac (NOT ON WINDOWS)

Options
SFraser
SFraser Member ✭✭

I have had so many issues on Windows with file corruption, accounting errors, and mishandling of trade types (such as balances verses trades/cash). Please share some of your Mac team with Windows. It really needs help and I am sure that is most of your business. Lucky, I am a geek. I have lots of computer options. Mac it is. Love it on Mac so far!

Finally my Fidelity 401 shows the correct balance on Mac. It shows twice the balance on Windows due to mishandling of a total message which Quicken is interpreting on Windows as a cash statement. I've tried to get Quicken to address this for nearly 2 years. Never happened. Mac team apparently read the specification and Windows team did not. Apparently they don't care to ask the Mac team how they did it correctly.

What more would I expect. We pay the same amount per year for Quicken (1 product. for 1 user) as for Office (7 products for 3 users). Yet we are getting 1/10 of the quality and support that Microsoft is providing.

What choice to you have. Quicken is essentially the last personal finance software standing that runs securely behind my firewall. I am not going to let others steal my financial data by selecting an online option. Most are very dangerous. Few seem to understand that.

Quicken on Mac. Forward I shall go.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This problem has always interested me, especially since someone pointed out that it wasn't just NetBenefits with the problem. Unfortunately, I have never had such an account so that I could dig into the details of what was being sent to figure out what was causing it, and no one knew enough or want to post the logs on it. Note one of the reasons it has never gotten fixed on Quicken Windows has to be the fact that the financial institution was quickly blamed for the problem. And without any proof, I'm sure the Quicken Windows developers are more than happy to ignore the problem.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@SFraser Just FYI, you're not talking to Quicken Executives here; it's only fellow Quicken users and a handful of Quicken moderators.

Please share some of your Mac team with Windows.

Not likely because (a) the Mac team is tiny (fewer than 20 people, including programmers, designers and testers), and (b) the two teams are halfway around the world from each other. 😳

We pay the same amount per year for Quicken (1 product. for 1 user) as for Office (7 products for 3 users). Yet we are getting 1/10 of the quality and support that Microsoft is providing.

It might be worth noting there is a wee bit of difference in the size of the companies and their products. Microsoft has 220,000 employees, while Quicken has one-tenth of one percent of that, about 200 employees. Microsoft Office is used by about 1 billion people; Quicken is used by a few million people. If we're actually getting 1/10 the quality and support of Microsoft, Quicken is actually punching way about its weight! 🤣

Seriously though, as a longtime Quicken Mac user, I'm happy to hear you're having success with Quicken Mac. In this forum we mostly see the complaints about what Quicken Mac is lacking compared with Quicken Windows, and much less frequently about the times Quicken Mac performs as well or better than its sibling.

As you may be aware, Quicken Mac was rewritten from scratch starting more than a decade ago, while Quicken Windows is built on top of an aging 30+ year-old code base. The re-development of Quicken Mac was painful for both the company and users, and resulted in some challenging years and some of the still-missing features which remain on the developers' planning schedule; on the other hand, it is built around a modern SQL database which is fast, not constrained by size, and most importantly, extremely robust and not prone to corruption. If the Quicken Mac team continues adding features, as they have been for a decade now, it hopefully points towards a bright future for Quicken Mac. (Assuming Quicken can figure out how to perform better with the connectivity problems they and their service provider, Intuit, constantly experience.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.