How to update only selected accounts — but not all (Q Mac)

Options
brpillows
brpillows Member ✭✭

How do I update only one financial institution or account as I was able to in the Windows version

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 14 Answer ✓
    Options

You can and this behavior is similar in Windows:

Select the individual account in the Sidebar, and from the menu, choose to Update Selected Account:

If this account is connected via Direct Connect, it will update all accounts with that Financial Institution. If the account is connected via Quicken Connect, it will update all accounts connected via Quicken Connect.

There is no way to force an single individual account update if you have multiple accounts held with the same FI, or if the accounts are connected via Quicken Connect.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

You likely cannot, although I don't believe the Quicken Mac behavior is different in this area from Quicken Windows.

If you have a Direct Connect connection to a financial institution, then selecting that account and going to the Accounts menu to select Update Selected Account will update that account — but if there are other Direct Connect accounts at the same financial institution it will update them as well. With Direct Connect, your Quicken is communicating directly with the financial institution's server, so it will download whatever transactions it has for your login.

If you have a Quicken Connect (Express Web Connect, or EWC, in Windows) connection to a financial institution, then selecting that account and going to the Accounts menu to select Update Selected Account will update that account — and all your other Quicken Connect accounts across all financial institutions. With Quicken Connect, your Quicken is communicating with Quicken's aggregation server, which will download whatever transactions it has for your login.

It has always worked this way, and it always annoys/confuses users. At one point about two years ago, the Quicken Mac developers decided to help users by removing the misnamed "Update Selected Account" from the menu entirely, but users complained at they put it back.

I've never understood why they couldn't connect to the server and then only download data for one account, or filter all the downloaded transactions for only those belonging to the selected account, but they haven't. I'm guessing it's to cut down on the number of times a user hits a server for downloads, but maybe there's more to it than that.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 14 Answer ✓
    Options

You can and this behavior is similar in Windows:

Select the individual account in the Sidebar, and from the menu, choose to Update Selected Account:

If this account is connected via Direct Connect, it will update all accounts with that Financial Institution. If the account is connected via Quicken Connect, it will update all accounts connected via Quicken Connect.

There is no way to force an single individual account update if you have multiple accounts held with the same FI, or if the accounts are connected via Quicken Connect.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13
    Options

just for the record for Quicken windows. You cannot update an individual account, no matter what the connection type is. You can update only one financial institution/login. Which seems to be the same as quick, and Mac based on the post above Hi John.

as for why is done this way, connecting to the financial institution and requesting the transactions is probably 99% of the whole operation no matter your time if for one account or all of them. So basically, they probably figured that it just wasn’t worth putting in a system to pull down one account when they can get all of the accounts at the same time. And you might be very well, correct that the financial institutions rather have them do it that way too.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • brpillows
    brpillows Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks John, that is what I was looking for. I was just updating without selecting the account on the sidebar. On Windows I would get a dialog box that would allow me to select institutions and or quotes to be updated.

This discussion has been closed.