online balance is incorrect in Quicken for one of my chase credit card accounts

Options
deathrs
deathrs Member ✭✭

Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭January 6 edited January 6

Ah, thanks for the additional explanation. So, as I understand it, you are manually downloading your X5678 account data in QFX format (which is the correct one to use) and then you are manually importing that QFX file into Quicken. (This is, BTW, called the Web Connect method.) The data in that QFX file gets imported into Quicken against your old account number (X1234) but the transactions are for (X5678).

Also, to be sure I understand you correctly: The "Online Balance" that is imported is for X1234 and not for X5678?

Please let me know if I have stated any of this incorrectly.

Go to where you saved that QFX file (which by the way is the correct file format to be downloaded): Right click on that file and then left click on Edit in Notebook. Scroll down until you find <ACCTID>. Which account number is shown after that….X1234 or X5678?

Scroll down the file further until you find <BALAMT>. Does it show what should be the Online Balance of X1234 or X5678?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

I know that this is a closed discussion and I probably did this incorrectly, but I have this same issue. I followed the above instructions and the <ACCTID> has the old closed account number. The <BALMAT> is $0.00 as the old account is zero. but it shows this online balance for the new account.

How can I fix this? the old account is closed and not active for downloads. The new account, I import transactions from Chase. The transactions are correct as is the ending balance, but since it shows a zero balance I can't reconcile.

Thanks for you help

Comments

• deathrs
    deathrs Member ✭✭
    Options

I did try to do an account edit to change the account number from the old account to the new acount. Quicken runs after the edit, but it does not change the account number.

• deathrs
    deathrs Member ✭✭
    edited March 16
    Options

for one of my Chase credit card accts, I noticed the online balance was not correct in Quicken. It is correct when I look at the account at chase. When I initiate the download, I noticed that the account number is an old chase account, that I closed in Quicken. The transactions are correct for the current account, but the online balance is zero, which is incorrect for the current account, but would be correct for the old account. This prevents me from reconciling from online.

This started after 2/12/24, my last reconcile online. I do not want to lose my transaction data which goes back to 2010, so I don't want to delete the account and start over. When I deactivate the download and then initiate from the Chase online and Quicken ask me to link the account, this is where I see the old account number that wol link to my existing account.

IIs this a Chase Issue or an Quicken Issue? How to fix?

Thanks for your help

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you have an old account number associated with you current Chase account … that's what Q is sending to Chase.

To change the number on the account, you need to disable the account from download, correct the account number and then re-enable downloads for the account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But did it import the file into the correct account.

The ACCTID merely points to where the data should go … it doesn't change the account number in Q.

You need to disable the account, in Q, from download, Edit the account number in the Account Details panel and then re-enable the account for download.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• deathrs
    deathrs Member ✭✭
    Options

I did deactivate the current acct#, then edited the account details to correct the account #. All good at that point, so far. Then I go to the Chase website and download the (correct acct#). this creates a file that is sent to Quicken. Quicken then gives two options: 1. add a new account or 2. link to an existing account. When I link to my current account#, quicken downloads the correct transactions, but not the correct online balance. It overwrites the account number (correct number) that i saved from my edit and replaces it with the old account number.

When I looked at the option box, where quicken asked to link to a current account, in the heading is a greyed out account number, it is the old number.

When I use the "edit in notebook" and look at the file the <ACCTID> is the old acct#number and the <balmat> is $0.00, of course the zero balance is correct for the old account , as it is closed. I did discover a "work around" if I edit the <ACCTID> to my correct account and the <BALMAT> to the account online balance and the open the file in Quicken everything works. but only for that download.

It looks like when I select this one Chase credit card account (I have 2 accounts,the other account has no problems), Quicken has the old number associated with the new number. I know that I could delete the account and start over, but I dont want to lose my transaction data.

Like I said, this all started a couple of months ago. Every thing was fine and then I couldn't do a reconcile using the online as the online balance is incorrect.

I really appreciate the help, I know my outline is confusing at times. Thanks

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16
    Options

Like I said, this all started a couple of months ago.
    Everything was fine and then I couldn't do a reconcile using the online as the online balance is incorrect.

hmmm… just tried it - downloaded a Chase CC QFX file -
    and looking at the <acctid> field - it is NOT a valid Credit Card number or prefix -
    the last 4 digits match - but not the rest of the number….
    I have no idea what or where my number is coming from….

for @deathrs - what is the current status of this CC account ?
    How does it show in Quicken - Tools —> Account List ?
    How does it show in Chase - list of Accounts ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• deathrs
    deathrs Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello Ps56k2

The account is active in Quicken I have edited the account details an have the correct account number. I initiate the transaction download from the Chase website. The transactions download correctly and Quicken matches the Chase on line account account. The problem is that somewhere my old account# is associated with the new account #. When I look at the file that is created from the Chase download it has the old account #(at least the last 4 digits) in the file name. When I use the "edit in notebook" function, the <acctid> has the same account # as the file name. If I go ahead and open the file it will overwrite the the account number that is listed in the account details. everythig else works as it should except the online balance is $0.00 which is incorrect for the current account, but is accurate for the old account as it is closed.

The workaround I discovered Is to initiate the download from the Chase site. Then open the file with edit in notebook. I change the <acctid> to my current account number and the <balamt> to the current balance that is reflected on my chase website. I save the file and open it and everything works as it should. It does not overwrite the account number.

The problem with this process is the next time I download from Chase, I have to go throuh the edit process, then open the file and link it to the current account.

I am not sure what changed, but I noticed it 2 months ago. I have two credit card accounts, only one is affected. the other account has no issues. When I look at them on the Chase site both are active and look the same. I cannot see the old account on the Chase site as it has been closed.

Thanks for your help

• deathrs
    deathrs Member ✭✭
    Options

I did that and no change the download file that is created overwrite the account number field in account details.

• deathrs
    deathrs Member ✭✭
    Options

Ok, Still doing investigative work. When I initiate a a download from the Chase website, It creates a QFX file. I then open this file to download into Quicken. That QFX file is saved to my computer. I looked back at some previous files that were saved.

Aparently the problem started around11/13/23. Prior to this date, the QFX file was named the same as my chase current account.

The next download QFX file created on 12/13/23 was named with the chase old account. even though the new account is selected for download. FYI, I can no longer see the old account on my chase website, as it has been closed.

So Is it Chase that creates the QFX file to download or Quicken?

Thanks again for help with this.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@deathrs said:

So Is it Chase that creates the QFX file to download or Quicken?

Yes, and only they can fix it.

But let me say something. As long as the account number is unique you should be able to deactivate the account for downloading, import the new QFX file and link it to that Quicken account. Quicken doesn't care what the account number is, it just has to be unique. It uses that information and few other things to know what account to import into when you open a given QFX file.

I will also state that the unique Ids in the QFX files are not the same as the ones being generated for Express Web Connect +, so if you try to use both of these download methods you will get duplicate transactions.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry, but this is an incorrect statement:

The ACCTID merely points to where the data should go … it doesn't change the account number in Q.

Or maybe just stated a bit "incomplete".

Quicken uses the ACCTID field and a couple others to create a unique "fingerprint" of the account. It uses this information to know if an account in Quicken is linked to this online account. The first time Quicken sees a new "fingerprint" it will ask what account in Quicken to link it to (note that it will not show the accounts that are already linked, so that is why you have to deactivate an account if you need to "relink" to a different online account/fingerprint).

Once the user links that information/fingerprint/online account to a given Quicken account it will definitely change the "Account number" in the Account Details to what is in the ACCTID field.

Note for connection types other than Web Connect/QFX files it is suggested that people use Add Account instead of Set up online because "Set up online" will try to use the information in the Account Details if is there, like for instance the financial institution, name which might be different.

But anyways back to the original problem.

If Chase is generating a bad QFX file only they can fix it (you could edit it, but that's not a fix it is workaround).

On the other hand, if you are getting all the right information except the online balance then yes you can reconcile, you just can't reconcile to the online balance. Go to the Account Details → Online Services and turn off reconciling to the online balance. You will have to enter the "statement date/balance" (which can be any date/balance combination say from the financial institution's website (as long as it doesn't include pending transactions).

Signature:
  • QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Chris_QPW - I can attest to the fact that the FI and the Account Number in Quicken can be updated by the QFX file. I have seen it happen firsthand. I have an account that is problematic because the QFX file changes the FI and Account number in Quicken. In order to get the account to work with EWC again, I have to deactivate, clear the FI and Account number in the General tab, and the reactivate it again. Over the years I have mentioned this to many Quicken representatives, but they don't have a clue as to what I am talking about.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Of course, it can change it, that is the purpose of it. I don't know why people would think it is otherwise.

Let me state this, the account number displayed in the Account Details isn't for the user. I have seen many a time where someone would complain that it isn't the full account number. It isn't for their use. In fact, note that Quicken blocks the user from changing it.

These fields:

Are combined, to uniquely identify the online account. Certainly, if the financial institution changes any of it then Quicken is going to believe that it is a different online account and go through the process of either creating a new account or linking this information to an existing one. And if it links to an existing one, it certainly going to change the above information. It is for this purpose after all.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

P.S. If it changes the account number without prompting for a new account/relink, then that would be a bug in Quicken.

Signature:
  • QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Chris_QPW I understand what you are saying, but in my "real life" example, it doesn't make sense that the QFX file updated the FI and Account number that was incorrect and didn't work for EWC.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sounds like the "checks for correctness" are a bit out of order. And that would be a bug in Quicken. The financial institution wouldn't be "faultless", they shouldn't be generating QFX files that are bad (some generate them even when they have no contract with Intuit) but Quicken should also make sure they are good before accepting them/changing things.

Signature:
  • deathrs
    deathrs Member ✭✭
    Options

I am still a little confused.

I did deactivate the problem account in Quicken. I did verify that it was deactivated in Quicken and with Chase website. Then from the Chase website I selected my account and initiated a transaction download an selected a Quicken QFX option. This created a file. THe file when opened had to be link to my existing account. This was expected as I had deactivated the account. The file downloaded correct transactions into the Quicken account that I had linked it to, with no problems, except for two. The online balance was not correct, it wa zero (it did not match the correct Chase on line amount) and it had overwritten the account number as displayed in Quicken account details. It had now had my old account number.

This is where I am confused, Prior to 11/13/23, the file that was created (I assume by Chase) was named with my current account number and worked fine when opened and downloaded into quicken. Then On 12/13/23, my next download, the file that was created was named with my old closed account number and while transactions were correct, the balance and account number used were not. what is odd, Quicken did not ask me to link this "new named" file to an account, it used the proper account.

The only problem that was apparent was the online balance. it would not let me reconcile the account. Thankfully it was pointed out to me, that I could reconcile without using the online balance, as a work around.

So my next step is to contact Chase tech support as see what changed about the QFX file they create when I download transactions for Quicken. I will post results of that conversation.

I really appreciate the help, as I sure it apparent, I am in over my head.

• deathrs
    deathrs Member ✭✭
    Options

I copied this comment from another post, I made on the same subject. I wasn't smart enough to know how to merge the two posts together.

I am still a little confused.

I did deactivate the problem account in Quicken. I did verify that it was deactivated in Quicken and with Chase website. Then from the Chase website I selected my account and initiated a transaction download an selected a Quicken QFX option. This created a file. THe file when opened had to be link to my existing account. This was expected as I had deactivated the account. The file downloaded correct transactions into the Quicken account that I had linked it to, with no problems, except for two. The online balance was not correct, it wa zero (it did not match the correct Chase on line amount) and it had overwritten the account number as displayed in Quicken account details. It had now had my old account number.

This is where I am confused, Prior to 11/13/23, the file that was created (I assume by Chase) was named with my current account number and worked fine when opened and downloaded into quicken. Then On 12/13/23, my next download, the file that was created was named with my old closed account number and while transactions were correct, the balance and account number used were not. what is odd, Quicken did not ask me to link this "new named" file to an account, it used the proper account.

The only problem that was apparent was the online balance. it would not let me reconcile the account. Thankfully it was pointed out to me, that I could reconcile without using the online balance, as a work around.

So my next step is to contact Chase tech support as see what changed about the QFX file they create when I download transactions for Quicken. I will post results of that conversation.

I really appreciate the help, as I sure its apparent, I am in over my head.

• deathrs
    deathrs Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, we will see… after an hour on the phone and still not sure I was talking with the correct person, the tech agreed that it is a problem with creating the QFX file and they will fix it. more to follow.

Thanks agin

• deathrs
    deathrs Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, we will see… after an hour on the phone and still not sure I was talking with the correct person, the tech agreed that it is a problem with creating the QFX file and they will fix it. more to follow.

Thanks again

• deathrs
    deathrs Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the info. I am still a little confused.

I did deactivate in Quicken the current Chase account and verified that it was deactivated at Chase. I then went to the Chase website and initiated a transaction download (selected the Quicken QFX Option). A file is created, when I open the file , it downloads the transaction into Quicken. Then, I have to link the file to the correct existing quicken acount.The transaction are correct and they go into the correct account. The only things that I see that is incorrect are the online balance and the fact that the downloaded file overwrites the correct account with the old account number. This looks like Quicken is performing as it is supposed to, I am linking a Chase created QFX file that has erroneous information.

This is where I get confused, and will contact Chase technical support. Something happen between the dates of 11/13/2023 and 12/13/23 when chase creates the Quicken QFX file. The downloaded file that has name that matched the my account name prior to 11/13/23, now has a file name that matches a closed account name at chase.

Fortunately, the work around (reconcile without using online balance) is relative painless.

I will update after discussing with Chase.

Thanks again.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Clearly if Chase is mixing up the different information in the QFX file they need to fix it.

Quicken is behaving as well as it can with the incorrect data being sent to it. And you have a workaround, but I'm certainly not saying that should be the end of it. If Chase is mixing up the account numbers and balances, then there is no telling what else they will mess up.

Signature:
  • deathrs
    deathrs Member ✭✭
    Options

Today, I did a transaction download from the problem account at chase. The process worked as it should, Chase did correct the problem.

Thanks again to all who helped. I understand the process much better.

This discussion has been closed.