Upgrade from Deluxe to Home Business

Options
Mary MacArthur
Mary MacArthur Member ✭✭
edited April 16 in Before you Buy

Treasurer of Homeowners Assn has HB version and I have Deluxe R55.15 on windows 11. I am new treasurer and I don't think my version supports invoices. Do I buy a new HB version or can I transfer their ownership to my computer? Will my deluxe file work on upgraded version.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19
    Options

Only QWin "Business and Personal" has invoicing ability and the data file layout for all current versions of Q is identical. Your Deluxe data file can be opened by B&P without issue.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You don't need to buy and install a new HB&R version. You already have all the necessary programs installed on your computer. Just follow the Upgrade instructions here, pay the upgrade price and your Quicken on your computer will now have the HB&R features enabled.

Your personal data file will continue to work as before.

Your HOA data file, once copied to your computer into the \Documents\Quicken folder on your C: - drive will also work. You just need to change ownership of the file:
    Once you have opened the HOA data file go to Edit-> Preferences-> Quicken Id to sign in as a different user using your personal Quicken ID and password.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you really want to use your personal subscription for the HOA or vice versa do you want to run your personal finances on the subscription owned by the HOA? From what I have heard about some HOAs, the later could be a violation of their by-laws.

If the HOA owns a subscription of Business & Personal (used to be called Home & Business), I would find out the Quicken Id for that subscription change the password so that no one else can monkey with it. You may need to change the login ID also.

Now, if you want to use both editions (two different subscriptions) on your personal computer and keep things separate, see the following on how to safely switch between the editions/Quicken IDs.

=========

----------- Switch between Q Editions
    You already have both editions of Quicken installed. There is only ONE subscription Quicken program, the license
    decides which features (edition) are available.
    You can switch between editions by going thru EditPreferencesQuicken Id, "login as different user".
    To prevent hiccups in your separate data files, make sure that they are both uniquely named and switch between them using this process.
    Create a dummy data file named something like go_between.qdf with no accounts in it, it is just for transitioning between the two Quicken IDs.
    Now, you do NOT want to open your personal data file while the Quicken program is setup for the Club's ID and the same holds true for opening the Club's data file with your personal ID.
    So, that is where the dummy data file comes into play. Lets say you are using your data file
    and now want to work with the Club's data file.

1. Open the dummy data file using either FileOpen Quicken file or picking it from the recent file list on the File menu.
    2. Do EditPreferencesQuicken Id and then "login as different user" using the Club's ID.
    3. Open the Club's data file using either FileOpen Quicken file or picking it from the recent file list on the File menu.
    4. Do what ever you needed to do.

Now, when you want to work with your personal data file, follow the same procedure except substitute your personal data file and Quicken ID where you used the Club's information.
    I suggest always returning the state of registration of Quicken to your personal Quicken ID and only have it in "Club mode" when it needs to be so that you don't inadvertently open your personal data file with the Club ID which would require you do do steps 1 & 2 again as 5 & 6 using personal ID.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Mary MacArthur is the treasurer's Quicken their own personal copy also used for HOA business? If so, my suggestion would be that the HOA purchase a separate Quicken H&B to be used only for HOA business. I wouldn't mix personal and HOA transactions under one subscription, even if they would be in separate data files.

This discussion has been closed.