Adding More Options when Adding Off Line Accounts

Options
Jeff76
Jeff76 Member ✭✭✭
edited April 18 in Investing (Windows)

Currently when you add a new account one of your three options is Investing & Retirements. I suggest that there should be additional sub options when adding a new account under Investing & Retirements so if you pick brokerage can select a sub option of either stocks, preferred stocks or bonds. In this way you could finally segregate stocks, preferred stocks, and bonds in the Account List Sidebar under Investments on the main Quicken landing page. Currently, all stocks, preferred stocks, and bonds are all tossed in under "Investing" in the Account List Sidebar. I personally find it better to enter bonds under banking and enter them as a Savings account. Granted, by doing this I lose the capability of tracking the daily fluctuations of my bonds in the market, but I find it much easier than hunting for my JP Morgan bond vs my JP Morgan stock in the Account List Sidebar.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Q should reflect the real world. If you hold that mix of securities in your brokerage account … Q should show that in your account.

You can view JP vs JP , or anything else about your holdings, in the Portfolio (CTRL-U) and you can setup custom Views there to see only stocks vs only bonds, etc.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17
    Options

I would not recommend it, but if this is an offline account that holds stocks, bonds, and other stuff, you are free to set it up any way you want. For example, you might define a 3 accounts, called JPM stocks, JPM bonds, and JPM other, and put the corresponding securities in each. However you would be on your own trying to reconcile these accounts against your single statement, and if you sell stocks and buy a bond, you would have to sell in the stock account, transfer the proceeds to the bond account, and buy the bond there.

Or, as @NotACPA recommends, you could record all the securities in one account corresponding to the real world account and make a Portfolio view that just has the one account. Within that view you can group by Security Type or set up Investing Goals for each type you want to track separately and group on the goals.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Jeff76
    Jeff76 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I like the Portfolio view as @NotACPA and https://community.quicken.com/profile/Jim_Harman suggest, the problem from my perspective is that you can't update the account from that view. I have found it better with some account to update manually via the Account List Sidebar, (if you option trade you end up adding most transactions manually vs receiving on line transactions then having to delete and re-add the transaction to reflect correctly in Quicken).

This discussion has been closed.