No Status Column displayed for VISA credit card.

Options
jdparker225
jdparker225 Member ✭✭

I have Quicken Classic Premier for Windows, Version R55.15, Build 27.1.55.15.

I recently added an American Express credit card to Quicken and the columns displayed for this new account are different from the columns displayed for my existing VISA account. I checked the Register Columns for both accounts and there were differences between what could be selected/deselected. These are the columns shown in the AMEX credit card account:

Note the first column with the green dot. I don't have that column in the VISA account. It is the Status column.

This is what is shown when I select Register Columns for that account:

Note there is a "Status" column that is selected.

Here are the columns displayed and Register Columns for the VISA account:

Note that there is no Status column and there is no "Status" column that can be selected/deselected. All of my other banking accounts do have a Status column. It is just the VISA credit card account that does not. Why is that?

Thanks

Jim

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That MIGHT indicate a problem with your data file. Have you tried taking a backup and then Validating your file?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• cyberphile
    cyberphile Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you set up the new AMEX account for online services, ie. download transactions?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Status column applies to certain types of transactions in your register, e.g., Scheduled Reminders, Online transactions and downloaded transactions.
    AFAIK, it only appears when there's one of these types.

See https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Status+column+icons for more information

Note: The Status column can be shortened to only display an icon or widened to also display text, as you prefer.

• jdparker225
    jdparker225 Member ✭✭
    Options

I do not understand the relevance of either cyberpile's or UKR's response. (I saw UKR's link prior to posting my question.)

I will try validating my file. Can't do it right now. I'll post back later with result.

Thanks

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@jdparker225 - go to the Account Details for the CC account that doesn't show the Status column. On the Online Services tab is "Reconcile using online balance" checked? If not, check it, and see if you then have the "Status" option for register columns.

• jdparker225
    jdparker225 Member ✭✭
    Options

I did the file (super) validation and that did not help. There were no issues found with the VISA account.

QuickUserPSP may be on to something. My VISA account (the one without Status column) has a long and tortured history in Quicken dating back to 2007 when I started using Quicken. My history with the account goes back to 1977. Since 2007 it was hacked a couple of times and finally replaced by a card with the chip in 2017. As a result I have 7 hidden versions of the VISA account in addition to the current one which is the one for the card with the chip. I keep them for the history of transactions which I have actually found useful. From 2007 to 2012 I was able to connect to online services and do one step update. Then with the account version that started in 2012, I could not set up online services. I could set up online services to the other accounts at the institution. I try from time to time but it never finds my credit card account. From 2012 to Feb 2013 I went to the website and downloaded qfx files for import into quicken. (Off topic, in Feb 2023 the financial institution reorganized the VISA portion of the website and I could only download transactions as a CSV file so I've been hand entering all my VISA transactions into Quicken since then. Yeech!). It turns out that the hidden accounts that I could not connect to online services do not have the Status column but the hidden ones that I could connect to online services do.

So, it appears, you need to connect to online services in order to have a Status column. (Whether you check "Reconcile using online balance" or not appears to be irrelevant. None of my accounts have that checked.) Why is that? It seems to me that the status column is just as meaningful for an account not connected to online services as for an account that is. If not, why not?

Note: I am not looking for help dealing with the financial institution here unless someone wants to volunteer to talk to them and help them fix their website. It's the Mid-Atlantic Federal Credit Union. I have been in contact with them from time to time over the years without any movement. But I retired last Tuesday and I have nothing better to do with my time than to bug them about this. 😁 Getting that problem fixed may "solve" this problem but I would still like an answer to my question.

Thanks

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The blue dot - is the online Status - for various types of transactions - like Reminders, entries waiting to Match, etc -
    So - you need to have the Quicken Account setup for "online access" and then the Status/Blue Dot column will apper -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@jdparker225 - I think that "Status" column should be really named "Online Status" to more accurately describe its purpose to give a status of online transactions. But the other odd thing about the Visa account register is that there is an extra blank column after the "Balance" column. What is in that column?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with @QuickUserPSP especially since the "Cleared" column is often referred to as "status" and it is easy to confuse the two. Especially when you realized that both of them change sometimes for the same "action". For instance, the red pencil means a manually entered transaction that has yet to be cleared. So, when the transaction gets cleared, the red pencil status goes to blank, and the Clr going to c happen at the same time. And it doesn't really help that the "status" column has no text only the blue dot. And I would bet people that don't use automatic transaction entry mode have no idea why it is a blue dot.

This is the reason it is a blue dot:

In other words, Red Flag for transactions to accept into the register, blue dot for transactions to review in the register.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jdparker225
    jdparker225 Member ✭✭
    Options

Couple of things:

1. All my banking accounts have the blank column after the balance column. Even the AMEX one, which may not appear to have one in my original post, has it when you squeeze the columns and widen the window enough.
    2. My opinion is that since "uncleared", which is applicable to accounts whether online or not, can and does appear in the "status" column, it should be applicable to accounts whether they are online or not. Some statuses are only applicable to online accounts, but not all. Anyway, it looks like it is clear that Quicken's intent is to allow it only for online accounts. So my question is answered.
    3. Finally, my issue with my Mid_Atlantic Federal Credit Union VISA account has been around for years without resolution. Therefore, it must be the case that nobody else has complained about it and I must be their only customer that uses Quicken and has a VISA credit card through them. I feel so special 😕

Thanks all for your help.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19
    Options

• All my banking accounts have the blank column after the balance column. Even the AMEX one, which may not appear to have one in my original post, has it when you squeeze the columns and widen the window enough.

The column is for the "Action buttons". The buttons only show when a transaction is selected:

My opinion is that since "uncleared", which is applicable to accounts whether online or not, can and does appear in the "status" column, it should be applicable to accounts whether they are online or not. Some statuses are only applicable to online accounts, but not all. Anyway, it looks like it is clear that Quicken's intent is to allow it only for online accounts. So my question is answered.

There is overlap with the Clr column, but yes, the main purpose of the "status/blue dot" column is online status. It has can display a lot more than blank, c, and R. And it all pertains to online features, so it really has no offline purpose that isn't already covered by the Clr column.

Finally, my issue with my Mid_Atlantic Federal Credit Union VISA account has been around for years without resolution. Therefore, it must be the case that nobody else has complained about it and I must be their only customer that uses Quicken and has a VISA credit card through them. I feel so special 😕

Have you contacted Quicken Support? That is probably the best way to get it into their system.

Posting it on here as a separate question would be a good idea too. Mentioning it in a thread about other things isn't a good way to draw attention to it.

Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW

it doesn't really help that the "status" column has no text only the blue dot

If you widen the column enough, text appears.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Chris_QPW - No matter how I change, select, or deselect columns, I cannot get that extra blank column heading to appear. Here is how mine looks with the Action Buttons selected. There is only one column after the Balance column, not two, like yours shows.

Very strange.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I meant on the column header.

Just saying "Expand the Status column" will get "confused people. But saying "blue dot column", then is wrong for if one is looking for the column name in the column selection dialog. I think this should have been:

Status or even Online Status not a blue dot.

With the exception of Clr which is a pretty easy abbreviation to pick out all the rest of the columns match up with this selection:

Status doesn't.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It seems like maybe I might have been confused by this question:

All my banking accounts have the blank column after the balance column. Even the AMEX one, which may not appear to have one in my original post, has it when you squeeze the columns and widen the window enough.

Based on this statement:

Above "1" is the action column I was referring to and thought was what the question was about.

"2" on the other hand isn't a "column" is simply the "left over space".

If you aren't using popup registers the width of the register is the width of the main window minus the width of the Account bar (and some small blank spots in between).

If you make another column like the Memo smaller "2" will increase in size, and the opposite is true if you make another column bigger.

Watch what happens when I size my columns to take up all the space:

And here when I size them to take up more than the space available:

Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19
    Options

@Chris_QPW

I meant on the column header.

Ah. I missed your point. Seems to me if they can add text to the content cells when the column is widened, they could also add text to the header at the same time.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19
    Options

if you hover over the blue ball - it has text

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Chris_QPW If I get rid of the Action buttons, there are no columns to the right. The Balance column is flush to the edge of the register with no horizontal scrollbar. So there is no hidden column to the right. This is the way all of my registers are. If I change any of the other column widths the Balance column does not move.

No big deal, just wondering why the difference between installations of Quicken.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Reduce the size of any of your columns, and it will appear.

Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think the blank column next to Balance - is just a programmers parking place for the "columns" settings icon -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Chris_QPW if I reduce a column width, the adjoining columns widen to compensate, but the balance column remains fixed.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Strange that it is working differently for different people.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.