Mobile entry transactions are getting marked as cleared BEFORE the matching transaction

Options

For at least a month now, I've noticed that transactions that I'm POSITIVE I entered in the mobile app a few days earlier, end up downloading from my bank and do not find a match. Through the manual search process, I'm able to find the original I entered and have caught Quicken putting a "C" in the original transaction (thus it cannot be matched to a new downloaded bank transaction). How is this happening? No one else has access to my data file. I'm the only one that runs the one step updates.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Q can INDEED find a match to a "C" transaction. Happens all the time in my file.

Since you're running QMobile, it's possible that the mobile app is going out to your bank and finding the txn, so that when you download into Q desktop, the Mobile as already marked it cleared.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The big question is "why didn't it match" after downloading into Quicken Desktop because it certainly sounds like the Quicken Connection Services found a match. I wonder if this is another manifestation of this (given the timing is about the same):

The reason why your transaction can be cleared/matched before you download it into Quicken Desktop is because it isn't the only process that has that capability. The Quicken Connection Services can to this too.

Quicken Mobile/Web are the "GUIs" for the data kept in the Quicken Cloud dataset. The "Quicken Connection Services" maintain that dataset.

When you Sync to Mobile/Web Quicken (the Desktop program) is talking to the Quicken Connection Services. The is true for Quicken Mobile/Web too. And the Quicken Connection Services do updates periodically. Imagine this, you go on vacation and are using Quicken Mobile/Web, there aren't any syncs between Quicken Desktop, so how does the Quicken Cloud dataset/Mobile/Web get transactions? The answer is the Quicken Connection Services, which got them either periodically or if you forced and update (I believe you can only force an update on Quicken Web). Since it is downloading transactions into the dataset that Quicken Mobile/Web are using it certainly has to be able to also do the clearing of transactions and the matching to existing ones. Note it has the "Review" model not the Accept through a Downloaded Transactions tab model. With the mix of the two it gets a bit confusing, but transactions that haven't been "reviewed" yet should show up in the Downloaded Transactions tab if you are using it and not automatic transaction entry mode in Quicken Desktop.

All transaction downloads go through the Quicken Connection Services (for Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect but note that the Quicken Connection Services can also periodically or forced from Quicken Web download through Direct Connect, it just doesn't go through the Intuit servers).

Data flow for when Quicken (the Desktop program is involved):

Quicken (Desktop) ←> (sync/Quicken Connection Services/Quicken Cloud dataset) ←> Intuit server (Quicken Inc's aggregator) ←> financial institution's website.

For Quicken Mobile/Web, just shorten this to:

(sync/Quicken Connection Services/Quicken Cloud dataset) ←> Intuit server (Quicken Inc's aggregator) ←> financial institution's website.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • katwitch
    katwitch Member ✭✭
    Options

This might explain "why" the problem happens (maybe) but it doesn't change the fact that there is a pretty significant problem. Once those items are marked cleared (regardless of how), they will NOT be recognized as a possible match in the downloaded transactions tab in Windows. To be clear, these transactions have NOT been reviewed and are being marked as cleared anyway. Not good.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

On the bug, about all you can do is contact Quicken Support, and maybe Help → Submit a problem (no feedback for this though).

Thinking about this I have a theory on the reason why it can't match (still a bug, and still only a theory).

As @NotACPA said just because it is cleared doesn't mean it shouldn't be available for matching. But there is something that takes it off of the matching list and that is if it is marked as a downloaded transaction. You can't match a downloaded transaction to a downloaded transaction. If you turn on the Downloaded ID column and that "cleared, but not yet matched" transaction has a Downloaded ID then the server marked it "downloaded" and then it was synced into your register.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • katwitch
    katwitch Member ✭✭
    edited March 26
    Options

I have enabled the download ID column and can see that the cleared / unmatched transactions do have an ID number. As there is no way to email quicken support, I'm attempting to open a chat support case. I hate the offshore phone ticket system with a passion. It's absolute trash. We'll see where we get with the "support" chat (which in my opinion, has never been more than showing people how to do a validate and repair). I'll post the results here.

• katwitch
    katwitch Member ✭✭
    Options

I worked with Quicken support on this issue and ultimately ended up turning off direct connect, which seems to have resolved the issue. Web express syc works, but of course I had to give up a couple of the features you get with direct connect. First level quicken support was laughable - they just kept trying to blame me and they couldn't understand the problem. I had to go through several techs before I got one that would take an actual look. He ended up forwarding to a senior level support person, which is where the resolution happened. Once you get to the higher level support people, you actually get support.