step by step (Q Windows to Mac conversion)

Options
LittleMasti
LittleMasti Member ✭✭

For some reason, I need to switch to a new Mac laptop. I would appreciate it if someone could please guide me or post a link to a step-by-step process. How do I convert Windows files for Mac and install Quicken for Mac?

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

Installing Quicken Mac: log into your Quicken.com account, download the installer, double click on it, and it will be installed.

Copy your Quicken data file from the Windows computer to the Mac. Launch Quicken Mac, log in, and on the Let's get Started screen, select that you want to start from a Quicken Windows data file. Select your QDF file, and Quicken Mac will convert it. That's it. 😀

Except for the fact that Quicken Mac is not a clone of Quicken Windows; they're close cousins, not twins. You will have a bit of a learning curve getting acclimated to Quicken Mac's way of doing things. There are some things Quicken Mac does better than Quicken Windows; there are some things Quicken Mac does as well but differently; and there are some Quicken Windows features which are less robust or missing in Quicken Mac. Because we all use Quicken differently, it's impossible to tell you if you'll be one of the Windows to Mac switchers who loves Quicken Mac, who finds it has some trade-offs but is good enough for their needs, or who finds it problematic because of some missing feature.

If you still have your Windows computer, it's ideal if you can open the Mac and Windows computer side by side or at least simultaneously when you first convert the file, so you can do comparisons account by account to make sure your balances and holdings have transferred cleanly from the Windows file.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options

I’ve noticed that the Mac version lacks certain capabilities, such as the “Security Detail View.” Perhaps I will need to utilize both versions to manage my stock effectively.

As a lifelong Quicken Mac user, I had to Google Quicken Windows online help to see what was in the Quicken Windows Security Detail View:

Well, I agree that's a pretty handy screen. However, I think this information is available to you in Quicken Mac, although not grouped conveniently into one screen like it is in Quicken Windows.

To start with, clicking a security name in the Portfolio view (or from Window > Securities), you can get the "Security Overview" page:

This is a page of data from some third-party supplier Quicken uses, and it has all the historical information about the security — security type, price history chart, current price quote — but none of your personal investment in the security.

But the information you see in the Windows "My Holdings" panel…

…is easily available to you in the Quicken Mac Portfolio view:

As for the Windows Transaction History panel…

… in Quicken Mac you can view the lots you hold just by clicking the expansion arrow next to the security name in the Portfolio screen:

…or your entire transaction history (or a selected date range thereof) in the Transactions screen, by entering the security in the Search box:

So, while I agree that the Quicken Windows Security Detail View is a nice presentation of data, I think I've shown that all that data is available to you in Quicken Mac with just a few clicks. To me, it wouldn't be worth continuing to run Quicken Windows just for the combined information on that particular screen. 😀

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options

Installing Quicken Mac: log into your Quicken.com account, download the installer, double click on it, and it will be installed.

Copy your Quicken data file from the Windows computer to the Mac. Launch Quicken Mac, log in, and on the Let's get Started screen, select that you want to start from a Quicken Windows data file. Select your QDF file, and Quicken Mac will convert it. That's it. 😀

Except for the fact that Quicken Mac is not a clone of Quicken Windows; they're close cousins, not twins. You will have a bit of a learning curve getting acclimated to Quicken Mac's way of doing things. There are some things Quicken Mac does better than Quicken Windows; there are some things Quicken Mac does as well but differently; and there are some Quicken Windows features which are less robust or missing in Quicken Mac. Because we all use Quicken differently, it's impossible to tell you if you'll be one of the Windows to Mac switchers who loves Quicken Mac, who finds it has some trade-offs but is good enough for their needs, or who finds it problematic because of some missing feature.

If you still have your Windows computer, it's ideal if you can open the Mac and Windows computer side by side or at least simultaneously when you first convert the file, so you can do comparisons account by account to make sure your balances and holdings have transferred cleanly from the Windows file.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think you will find this Support Article helpful: https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-quicken-windows-quicken-mac-2016 .

If you are one of those QWin users who really likes QWin you might want to consider doing something different from converting from QWin to QMac: Purchase and install a Virtual Machine program (such as Parallels) on your Mac. Then you can install and run QWin on your Mac and the data file does not need to be converted.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• LittleMasti
    LittleMasti Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you - appreciate time and attention

• LittleMasti
    LittleMasti Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you once more for your help! The process of file conversion was straightforward and efficient. As you rightly pointed out, the Mac version differs from its Windows counterpart—they’re akin to close cousins rather than identical twins. However, I’ve noticed that the Mac version lacks certain capabilities, such as the “Security Detail View.” Perhaps I will need to utilize both versions to manage my stock effectively.

Interestingly, I’ve observed that Mac backup files are significantly smaller—about one-tenth the size of their Windows counterparts. Additionally, account syncing on Mac happens swiftly. It’s always fascinating to explore these nuances between platforms!

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options

I’ve noticed that the Mac version lacks certain capabilities, such as the “Security Detail View.” Perhaps I will need to utilize both versions to manage my stock effectively.

As a lifelong Quicken Mac user, I had to Google Quicken Windows online help to see what was in the Quicken Windows Security Detail View:

Well, I agree that's a pretty handy screen. However, I think this information is available to you in Quicken Mac, although not grouped conveniently into one screen like it is in Quicken Windows.

To start with, clicking a security name in the Portfolio view (or from Window > Securities), you can get the "Security Overview" page:

This is a page of data from some third-party supplier Quicken uses, and it has all the historical information about the security — security type, price history chart, current price quote — but none of your personal investment in the security.

But the information you see in the Windows "My Holdings" panel…

…is easily available to you in the Quicken Mac Portfolio view:

As for the Windows Transaction History panel…

… in Quicken Mac you can view the lots you hold just by clicking the expansion arrow next to the security name in the Portfolio screen:

…or your entire transaction history (or a selected date range thereof) in the Transactions screen, by entering the security in the Search box:

So, while I agree that the Quicken Windows Security Detail View is a nice presentation of data, I think I've shown that all that data is available to you in Quicken Mac with just a few clicks. To me, it wouldn't be worth continuing to run Quicken Windows just for the combined information on that particular screen. 😀

• LittleMasti
    LittleMasti Member ✭✭
    Options

Absolutely! I see that all information is readily accessible. I genuinely appreciate your kindness and assistance; without a doubt, uncovering this knowledge might have taken me six months. However, the absence of investment reports is disheartening. Fingers crossed that Quicken will roll out investment reports soon. Or perhaps Quicken Mac may not be significant enough of a business to justify the investment.

I am investing time perusing your other posts to gain insights into Q_Mac.

• jacobs
    Options

However, the absence of investment reports is disheartening. Fingers crossed that Quicken will roll out investment reports soon.

Play around a bit with the Portfolio window. You'll find that you can configure the filters, and the columns for each filter, to get a significant amount of information about your investments. And the Portfolio can always be printed (or exported for further manipulation in a spreadsheet). Is it perfect? No. Is it annoying to have to tweak the filter settings each time you want a different report? Yes. But is it effective at getting reports on your holdings and their performance? Mostly yes.

That said, yes, we can only hope the developers are working on building robust investment reports which can be configured and saved for re-use.