how do i.... Category Income/Expense ? (edit)

Options
andis
andis Member

im new to quicken. i have been appreciating the program so far, but there is this thing that keeps happening if i edit a transaction in the register and i cant figure out how to make it stop doing that. if i make any change to expense amount, it gets automatically changed to an income. i cant understand why it is doing that and how do i am make it not do it???

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Income and Expense is determined, in Q, when the category is created.

You can't determine that simply by the column in which you place the dollar amount.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

the Category itself - is defined as Income or Expense - and also potentially reflected in a Tax Line Item

… Tools —> Category List

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And the other thing that could be going on is that you're using the wrong sign for the numbers your editing. If you have a Category identified as an "income" then you generally enter the numbers for the Category as positive numbers. Likewise, if you have a Category identified as an "expense" then you generally also enter the numbers for the Category as positive numbers.

Quicken will happily accept negative numbers in either income of expense categories, and sometimes there are valid reasons for making those entries, but they do turn "income" into "negative income" or "expenses" into "negative expenses."

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

if i make any change to expense amount, it gets automatically changed to an income.

need some details - what kind of account…. Savings, Investment, Credit Card -
    and what does the Category look like in the Category List - Income or Expense -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.