Mark duplicate transactions

Options
ajoy
ajoy Member ✭✭

Quicken does not categorize transactions as effectively as Mint or other software. There should be an easy way to mark transactions as duplicates without deleting them.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why? How? If they're dupes, they're impacting the balance in the account. WHY would you not want them deleted?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22
    Options

Be warned @ajoy is a Quicken Mac user.

@ajoy You should be posting your Ideas in the correct categories because Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows have different features and even for the features that overlap, the process of doing things might be different.

I'm going to flag all of your Ideas to the moderators to move them to Quicken Mac categories.

EDIT: And note that you posted these is the category for the "community" which is for suggestions for improvement to the "forum"/website.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 23
    Options

Are you perhaps referring to a transaction that downloads but doesn't match to a manually entered transaction, thereby resulting in two transactions? There is a way to force them to match: just drag one of them on top of the other. QMac will mark them as matched and learn for future downloads.

If this is not the issue, please explain further. How are duplicates getting created? Why don't you want them deleted? How does Mint handle this? Specific examples with screenshots would be very helpful.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

new user postings …

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23
    Options

Note if transitioning from Mint, if you imported transactions from Mint and then downloaded transactions through Quicken's connection methods there are going to be duplicates that have to be dealt with because of the changing over from one system to another. But this should be a onetime thing. And as @RickO noted, Quicken Mac has an easy way to deal with them: drag one of them on top of the other. This "merges" them. The result is one transaction and Quicken learns from that too.

Note I'm not sure why "marking them as duplicate" opposed to deleting them would be the right thing to do, who would really want a duplicate to remain a duplicate? But the really right thing to do is "merge" not "mark as duplicate" or "delete".

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.