Quicken Register Balance is Wrong

Options
Tseab
Tseab Member ✭✭

Windows 10 / Quicken Deluxe R55.15

I have been reconciling my bank account to the penny for the last few years. Every bank statement transaction agrees with the Quicken register. Beginning in December '23, I began seeing a several thousand dollar error in the Quicken register balance. I have called support and was told "just enter an adjustment after your reconcile". That answer is not good enough. Is anyone else having similar problems?

Tagged:

Answers

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Tseab have you checked your account register's opening balance? Over the years, several users have reported that their opening or beginning balances have changed after an update or upgrade.

• Tseab
    Tseab Member ✭✭
    Options

I checked that and the opening balance is correct. After my call to support in December, I entered a balance correction of -$2,071.07 to address the issue at that time and it worked, but I'd rather solve the problem rather than using a work around. This first happened after my renewal and update in late December.

Thank you

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you pull out your old statements and determine WHEN things when astray? That should help in actually resolving the issue.

OR, if you've got a backup from, say November, you can restore that to a different name, print out a monthly "Account Balance" report then switch back to the current file and eyeball compare the month end balances to determine WHEN.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Which bank?

What connection method is the checking account set up with? Direct Connect, Express Web Connect, Express Web Connect+ or Web Connect? (You can see this information above the account register on the left side right beneath the Account Name.)

Did you change the connection method of that checking account at about that time? By "change" I mean Reset Account, Deactivate/Reactivate or Reauthorize the account.

As mentioned by @NotACPA, there is a known bug where changing the connection method can sometime result in the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount being changed. Since you confirmed the dollar amount is correct it means something else is causing the issue.

In addition to sometimes the Opening Balance getting changed during a change in connection method, there are two other things that sometimes can happen when changing the connection method:

1. Duplicate transactions being entered into the account register. Scroll back about 90-100 days from late-Dec when you first noticed this issue looking for duplicate transactions. If you find any, decide which of the 2 two transactions you wish to keep and delete the other. There can be more than 1 set up duplicates.
    2. A less common issue that can occur is that sometimes Quicken will place a 2nd Opening Balance transaction in the register. Click on the Payee column header to sort the register by Payee.

Let us know if you found any of these issues.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.