uncategorized transactions

Options
826joey
826joey Member ✭✭

In the check register, when I enter a split transaction it records the proper amount. At the same time it doubles the amount and enters it as a uncategorized transaction. How to stop this from happening. Thanks for any help

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Check for a Memorized Payee (Tools menu) that is a split transaction. If found, delete it.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"In the check register, when I enter a split transaction it records the proper amount. At the same time it doubles the amount and enters it as a
    uncategorized transaction. "

I'm not at all sure I'm understanding what you're telling us here but I'm guessing the problem is that when you enter the split amounts you are using the wrong sign for the amounts. Like this:

I split the total dollar amount - $250.00 - between two insurance Categories and used a minus sign for the split amounts. Quicken "knows" that you're making a $250.00 payment and expects you to enter the split amount as positive amounts. You can see that in trying to correct the error it doubles the amount to $500.00 with no Category. If I click on "Enter" here and then ignore Quicken's warning that I've got an uncategorized amount in my split, it will enter (backwards) the 2 expenses that I've Categorized and create an Uncategorized balancing entry.

• 826joey
    826joey Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Tom. That was exactly what was happening. I just went in and corrected a split trans and it did what it was supposed to do

This discussion has been closed.