unknown Financial Institution / FI needs updating (Voya retirement plans 401(k))

Options
sol65
sol65 Member ✭✭

I use Quicken Classic Deluxe for Windows, version R55.15, build 27.1.55.15 on Windows 11.

I have a Voya retirement plans 401(k) account that cannot update in Quicken and I cannot deactivate the online services or change or delete the financial institution. Every option to get this fixed appears to be either "greyed out" or not present. I've tried to validate the data file and that doesn't fix the problem either.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Voya has multiple names in Q … but "Voya - 401(k)" isn't one of them.

When you were setting up the account for download, what name did you use for Voya? If you start the name by just typing "Voya", you get the selection list for them.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• sol65
    sol65 Member ✭✭
    Options

Voya - 401(k) is what I've named the account in Quicken, not the name of the financial institution. The downloads did work at some time in the past and I cannot recall exactly which Voya variant I used for that purpose. But now, the financial institution shows as "Unknown" or as "FI needs updating".

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

To get around your problem I would create an offline account, then go to the problem account and select the gear icon and Move Transactions. Move all the transactions to the new account and delete the old one.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • sol65
    sol65 Member ✭✭
    Options

That's a tempting idea that I have considered. But some transactions don't always move nicely, especially combination transfer and buy/sell transactions such as "BuyX" and "SellX". Another possibility that I might try would be to make another account and do a position transfer from the old account to the new account.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The move operation in Quicken is very new, but I have found it to be very reliable (unlike moving transactions in a non-investment account).

You can make a copy of your data file (Just use Windows File Explorer) try it and if it doesn't work out then just delete the bad data file and rename the copy. Nothing to loss in the trying.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • sol65
    sol65 Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried it a couple of times. There are about 400 transactions in the account. Each time it moved 2 transactions to the new account and discarded the remaining transactions. I suppose that I could try moving them in smaller batches rather than all at once - but this is enough for today.

This discussion has been closed.