How does the Web version or Mobile App interact with the Quicken on my computer?

Options
Carno
Carno Member
edited April 28 in Before you Buy

I'm curious how the version that's loaded on my pc works with going online to the site or using the phone app? How does information flow back and forth? I'm not savvy at all regarding desktop and cloud interaction. Thanks!

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

The key to understand is that the data file on your computer is the main repository of your data. You can't re-create a desktop data file from cloud data. The data syncs in both directions — wherever you download, enter or edit any transactions should sync to the other. That said, problems with out-of-sync syncing are known to happen, where older data overwrites newer data, and for that reason some people (I'm one!) leave sync turned off and don't use the mobile app. (In Quicken Mac, there is a menu command for Sync to Mobile, which it's good to use after data entry to force a sync; I'm guessing there's something similar if you're using Quicken Windows.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24
    Options

Follow this link for FAQs on Quicken Mobile and Quicken Web which both use the data in the Quicken Cloud Account synced from the desktop Quicken data file.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-mobile-frequently-asked-questions

BTW, this has nothing to do with Quicken Simplifi which is completely in the "cloud".

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Carno
    Carno Member
    Options

Thanks! I'll review.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

The key to understand is that the data file on your computer is the main repository of your data. You can't re-create a desktop data file from cloud data. The data syncs in both directions — wherever you download, enter or edit any transactions should sync to the other. That said, problems with out-of-sync syncing are known to happen, where older data overwrites newer data, and for that reason some people (I'm one!) leave sync turned off and don't use the mobile app. (In Quicken Mac, there is a menu command for Sync to Mobile, which it's good to use after data entry to force a sync; I'm guessing there's something similar if you're using Quicken Windows.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Carno
    Carno Member
    Options

very helpful, thank you!

This discussion has been closed.