Budget Report totals inaccurrate

Options

I have reviewed many of the discussions on this topic, but none of the solutions corrected my problem. This problem has been happening for at least several years; I am currently on R55.15 Build 27.1.55.15 on Windows 11 Home.

The top line Income and Expense totals on the Budget Report does not come close (up to 100% off) to the total of the categories in the report (which are all correct).

What information should I compile to document this issue for Quicken? What is the process to work with Quicken on a problem like this?

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not sure exactly what you've tried to fix this, I'd assume Validate & Repair of the data file and a complete uninstall and re-install of Quicken, but if you've tried every possible fix that you've found in here and those haven't worked then it's probably time to pick up the phone and call Official Quicken Support, allow for screen sharing, and see what they can come up with. I'd advise doing this at a time when you're free to hanging on the phone for a couple of hours.

https://www.quicken.com/support#windows

(scroll down to the bottom of the page)

I think the pdf pretty much says it all.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This appears to be a spreadsheet based on the Current Budget report with the date range set to Quarterly/Current quarter and the Interval set to None. Is that correct? That report works as expected for me.

I see for example that the Income total in the first column is much higher than the total of the items below it.

Do you see the same issue in the report if you choose different date ranges? If you find a particular date where total starts being off, look for a transaction on that date that might account for the difference.

You might also try selecting the accounts that are included in the report one at a time to see which one(s) cause the discrepancy.

Have you made any customizations to the report and/or saved it, or is this the stock report accessed via Reports > Spending > Current Budget?

Please let us know what you find.

QWin Premier subscription
  • knitchie
    knitchie Member ✭✭
    Options

Tom & Jim,

Thanks for your suggestions. I went back to the default Current Budget Report and compared that to the default Income and Expense Report. By default, the two reports were configured a little differently, but once I reconciled those it didn't take long to find the culprits.

On the Actuals column of the budget report, if I select Exclude All or Exclude Internal transfers on the Advanced tab, the totals are correct. But, if I select either Include All or Exclude Self Transfers the totals match, but the Current Budget report excludes the transfer accounts and amounts that are shown on the Income and Expense report.

Once I found that, I pulled a fresh Current Budget Report and found that the Budget Expenses total didn't match. I found that the selection of Hide All Subcategories on the Advanced tab resulted in the incorrect total, and selecting Show All resulted in the correct total. What exactly is missing from the total remains a mystery that I probably will never solve.

It will be interesting whether either of you can replicate this or not. As Tom suggested, I may also uninstall and reinstall to see whether that changes anything.

Regards, Ken

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I know with the Budget reports there is an issue if you have some subcategories that are in the income group and some in the expense group. Perhaps that is what you are seeing.

QWin Premier subscription