Very slow initial load times!

Options

Over the past week or so, I have noticed that for some reason my initial start-up/load times went from about 5 seconds to about 2 minutes. All other programs working perfectly. 1 gigabit internet connection. No new apps installed. I'm almost certain it has something to do with Quicken or the data file. Validated file - no issues. Data file is large - 5 gb but it's been this size for YEARS and always opened very fast regardless of this size. Copied data file and tried to load it that way…same. Seems to run ok once up and running but it is getting hung up right after entering password (seeing the "not responding message because it takes so long). Eventually it loads but after about 2 minutes. Quicken had no solutions (only solution was to copy the data file to another location and try again - nope same problem. Then the standard - well, it could be your computer. Nope, not computer - definitely quicken. Anyone else experiencing this lately?

thank you!

Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Silverback King,

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Quicken? Please refer to the following support articles for instructions on uninstalling here and reinstalling here.

However, after you have uninstalled and before you proceed with reinstalling, please open your Windows File Explorer and navigate to This PC > C: Drive > Program Files (x86) and delete the folder titled "Quicken" (doing so does not affect your data files). After you have deleted this folder, go ahead and try reinstalling.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• DKWhite
    DKWhite Member
    Options

Validate file, no errors. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Still very slow. Just happened in last few days. No changes to PC.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I suggest this experiment for slow startups.

Hold the CTRL key while double-clicking the Quicken desktop icon. This will cause Quicken not to open a data file. See whether that's any faster than your usual startup time.

Then load your data file from Quicken's File menu. See whether that represents the bulk of the startup time. Then at least you may be able to determine whether it's the program or the data that's causing slow startup.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Slow performance?

Please provide more details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding 16,000 transactions.

What is the file size, in KB, as shown by Windows File Explorer?

And I'd also like to see the "File Information" window (See below)

Is any cloud backup software (Dropbox, MS OneDrive, etc.) actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is running?
    What is the complete path and file name of your Quicken data file (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

How much total RAM do you have installed?
    How much of the available RAM is in use after Quicken has started? Windows Task Manager will give you this information. 80% or higher?

What version of Windows are you running?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:
    - Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of Transactions".
    If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of Transactions" to add the column.

- File Information: Click Help in the Menu Bar. Shift+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box. Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it here.
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only.

To attach the image here please review