Quicken doesn't ask for amount of interest earned when reconciling deposit accounts

Options

I see this question was asked in 2022. It's now 2024 and we are still behind Quicken 2010?

In version 2010, I could enter interest on the first reconcile pop-up.

This is a step backwards. I am canceling.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not sure what you're looking at … because when I reconcile a banking account, it MOST DEFINITELY offers a place to input the interest. What are you looking (not looking at). Please post a JPG,, as I have, with what you're seeing.,

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The difference in what you see when you go to reconcile a Banking Register depends on whether the Account in question is set up for downloading, or not:

Downloading Register:

Non-downloading Register:

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The screenshot that I previously posted is from a "Linked Checking Account" … which is associated with my Fidelity Brokerage account … and definitely downloaded.

SO, I'm a bit mystified by @Tom Young's comment re: downloading vs. non-downloading. PERHAPS because the LCA itself isn't actually downloaded, but contains the cash txn from the brokerage acct.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I certainly remember reconciliations, probably back to the early DOS versions, presenting these extra field, and then at some point (maybe some years ago) I realized that the reconciliations of my downloading Accounts didn't do that anymore. It never bothered me since I download daily and in my downloading Accounts the last transaction posted was the interest entry, and I don't incur fees.

On the other hand my manual Banking Accounts continued to use the style where the extra fees were available.

I put it down to a program change since I can't see any Preference that controls this.

Looking in some test files, where no Accounts are downloading, I do see the Reconcile Details screen for those Account, so perhaps it's an overlooked Preference that got changed by "something", or a certain hinkyness in my file.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I believe the thought here is that if you are downloading transactions then you will get the interest, charges, and such as downloaded transactions. If you aren't getting these transactions downloaded, then there is something really wrong with the transactions your financial institution is sending.

I would argue also that not having them on that dialog when manually entering is "fluff", and maybe sort of convenient (or not), hardly anything I would consider "vital" enough to cancel over.

I would propose a better method would be to have reminders setup for them and then just change these transactions as needed before kicking off the reconcile. That is all that Quicken is going to do anyways, create transactions to capture the same information.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/