Smaller quicken - Version of Quicken that is just the register without the extra features [Edited]

Options
mship
mship Member ✭✭
edited March 29 in Product Enhancements

I do not use any on line investment accounts etc. I just use the checkbook. Therefore I will either find a new program or if quicken does just a check register let me know. I don't use 76$ worth of features

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Which Q product are you currently running? If you're unsure, you can do HELP, About Quicken to see this.

The "smallest" Q is "Starter Edition", but downgrading to that is ill-advised since if your subscription ever expires, that product becomes "Read Only" with no downloads and no manual input either.

"Deluxe" is currently on sale for less than $60/year … so it's not apparent to me which Q product you're running.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 29
    Options

Quicken many years ago had a limited checkbook-only version, which they discontinued. Quicken is a small company, and I think they've found they can do better with a smaller number of products. They dropped non-US/Canada versions years ago as well. They combined two different business versions into one. They eliminated having annual releases they needed to maintain for three years. The Deluxe/Premier/Business & Personal versions are all the same program, with features enabled or disabled based on the subscription level. That consolidation allowed them to devote more time to fixing bugs and adding features, and to create a new web-only product, Simplifi, and likely other products in the future. So I don't think it's likely that they'll go back to offering a stripped-down, low-priced version for checkbook-only users; there's not enough profit in it for them.

There's no problem with your request; I'm only saying I don't think it's likely. And it may be that Quicken simply isn't the best tool for you if all you need is to track your checkbook. If you're not averse to a version where your data lives in the cloud, you might consider Quicken Simplifi. It also has more bells and whistles than you want, but it is offered at a slightly lower price ($48) than the desktop Quicken Classic programs.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To add to jacobs's post, the product was called Quicken Checkbook (2012 & 2014) and it was completely manual. Intuit (Quicken's owner at the time) gave it away after they couldn't get enough buyers and no one wanted it so it was dropped. It could handle Checking, Credit Card, Saving and Cash accounts.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list