Issues converting from Banktivity 7

Options
ghdvm5
ghdvm5 Member

I tried using Quicken Classic for Mac (current OS). When I created and imported the .qif file from Banktivity and imported it to Quicken, some of my accounts were way off. I discovered that many "transfer" transactions in Banktivity (such as a loan payment) were duplicated in Quicken which resulted in a huge disparity in my bank balance in Quicken.

Quicken help line was of no help. Told be to go back and manually delete (hundreds) of duplicate transactions. Nope.

Any ideas.

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

IF there is an element in common with those duplicate transactions you can Search to find them, select all of them, and delete them in one command. That is, if there's something unique about the duplicate transactions in any field, such as Payee or Category or Memo, you can sort the register by that field, click the first such transaction, scroll to the last one, Shift-Click to select them all, and then select Delete to remove them all at once. But even if you need to delete them manually, you can open the register and go through and Command-Click to select a bunch of transactions — maybe 20 or 30 at a time — then delete; repeat a few times until all the duplicates are deleted. It will take a few minutes, but then you'll be all set going forward.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 29 Answer ✓
    Options

I moved multiple files from Quicken to Bankitivity and then back again years later & it was never simple in either direction. These programs record information in different ways (transfers & split transactions seem to be particular sore points, and splits with transfers were a lost cause) and QIF makes it worse because it isn't great at recording these types of transactions. I don't have any magic bullet for you, you're just going to have to put in some work cleaning things up if you want to make that transition.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

IF there is an element in common with those duplicate transactions you can Search to find them, select all of them, and delete them in one command. That is, if there's something unique about the duplicate transactions in any field, such as Payee or Category or Memo, you can sort the register by that field, click the first such transaction, scroll to the last one, Shift-Click to select them all, and then select Delete to remove them all at once. But even if you need to delete them manually, you can open the register and go through and Command-Click to select a bunch of transactions — maybe 20 or 30 at a time — then delete; repeat a few times until all the duplicates are deleted. It will take a few minutes, but then you'll be all set going forward.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 29 Answer ✓
    Options

I moved multiple files from Quicken to Bankitivity and then back again years later & it was never simple in either direction. These programs record information in different ways (transfers & split transactions seem to be particular sore points, and splits with transfers were a lost cause) and QIF makes it worse because it isn't great at recording these types of transactions. I don't have any magic bullet for you, you're just going to have to put in some work cleaning things up if you want to make that transition.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This sounds like the same problem Quicken Windows has with importing QIF files. The way I got around this was by changing the transfers to regular categories in the QIF file. It breaks the linked transfers, but the "accounting" is still correct.

I created an executable from my Perl program for people on Windows, but I don't have a way to do that for a Mac. But the Mac has Perl loaded in by default so it could be run directly (after I strip out some minor Windows dialog boxes). The one thing I'm not sure about is if Bankitivity has an account list and names in the QIF file in the same format as Quicken does. It needs that to separate out the accounts.

If anyone is interested in it, I can post it on my website (it has to be there because this forum software will mangle some of the characters in it).

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.