Quicken WillMaker and Trust

Options
Flash64
Flash64 Member
edited April 1 in Before you Buy

Hi All, has any one used this? any comments pros\cons? does it integarte with Quicken Classic at all?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Who produces, markets this?

And I'm not aware of any software of this type that integrates with Q.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you are referring to Quicken Willmaker and Trust: That is a personal legal software owned and sold by Nolo. It is not associated with Quicken Classic and Quicken Inc. in any way whatsoever, nor do they interface with each other.

I have used Quicken Willmaker and Trust for the last 16 yrs. It is a good, easy to use legal software for creation of wills, trusts, POAs and a few other personal legal documents for a relatively low cost. There really can't be more discussion about it in this Community forum because it is not a Quicken Inc. product and Quicken Inc. owns this website. Surely there is community forum for Willmaker and Trust somewhere else. Good luck.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1
    Options

Quicken Willmaker and Trust: 

was it ever part of Quicken or Intuit - if not… how can they use the branding ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 1
    Options

Through a licensing agreement - I imagine Nolo pays the owner of the Quicken name (which I believe is Rocket Mortgage) for the rights to use the name for that specific purpose.

Or maybe Wills & Personal Finance are considered separate enough that it's not an infringing use - kind of like how Apple Computers & Apple Records both use the Apple name (though IIRC there were multiple lawsuits over that, maybe that's not the best example).

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1
    Options

@Flash64 - I would think you might find a good discussion of various alternatives on some financial forum - like Bogleheads-

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In 1999 Intuit purchased Rock Financial Corp and renamed it Quicken Loans. A few years later Intuit sold Rock Financial Quicken Loans (including Quicken Loans and the trademarked "Quicken") to a group of private investors. Rock Financial eventually became Rocket Mortgage which continues to own the "Quicken" trademark.

Willmaker and Trust was never owned by Intuit. It was developed and sold by Nolo starting back in the 1980s. Somewhere along the way they added "Quicken" to the name of it. Their documentation says they license the use of the "Quicken" trademark from Rocket Mortgage, just like Quicken Inc licenses that trademarked name from Rocket Mortgage. There are at least a couple of other businesses that have licensed the use of the "Quicken" name that never had any other ties to the owner of the "Quicken" trademark.

BTW, Nolo has been rebranding Willmaker and Trust over the last couple of years by making "Quicken" in smaller font and "Nolo" in larger font. Just 3 years ago "Nolo" was only found in the small print. My guess is that within the next couple of years there will be no reference made to "Quicken" at all and it will once again be Nolo Willmaker and Trust.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)