Tackling the Investment portfolio -

Options
Elaine2
Elaine2 Member ✭✭✭

After years of working with Quicken— I'm finally at a place where I can learn more about the management and reconciliation of investment accounts.

I need a step-by-step guide. I've looked at some of the videos on YouTube— not helpful.

Insight would be welcome.— Thank you

Tagged:

Best Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you ask specific questions, we can be of more help.

BUT, the first thing to do is to create the account(s) (one per real world account) and add the currently held securities to the Security List. Then, if your FI's allow such, set up these accounts for download into Q.

And, have you looked at HELP, in Q itself?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4 Answer ✓
    Options

There is no certification program that I am aware of.

One thing you can do learn about investing or other Quicken features is to go to File > Copy or backup file and select the "Create a copy or template" option to make an offline copy of your data file. You can experiment with this file all you want without running the risk of messing up your working data. Just be sure to switch back to your production file when you are done experimenting.

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

There have been no really substantial changes to the basic investment tools for many years. As such you may find books like Quicken for Windows, The Official Guide or Quicken for Dummies or similar (check your local libraries) helpful resources. I don’t think either of those are properly up-to-date but they should be adequate.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you ask specific questions, we can be of more help.

BUT, the first thing to do is to create the account(s) (one per real world account) and add the currently held securities to the Security List. Then, if your FI's allow such, set up these accounts for download into Q.

And, have you looked at HELP, in Q itself?

• Elaine2
    Elaine2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

My apologies for the vagueness of my question.

ML data already set up in Quicken. Your information is helpful though—

I've printed out the TOC of the Help Investment section— and will study that and a statement to orient myself. (Personally, I like paper references) :-)

I'm sure I'll have questions after that.

Thank you for this reply. — Elaine.

• Elaine2
    Elaine2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have another question you might able to shed some light on.. .

Are you aware of any programs to become either certified or some other designation for expertise in Quicken? — E

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4 Answer ✓
    Options

There is no certification program that I am aware of.

One thing you can do learn about investing or other Quicken features is to go to File > Copy or backup file and select the "Create a copy or template" option to make an offline copy of your data file. You can experiment with this file all you want without running the risk of messing up your working data. Just be sure to switch back to your production file when you are done experimenting.

QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

While, as previously stated, there's no "certification program", the closest that one can get is the designation as a "SuperUser", which is appointed by Quicken for one's knowledge of the program and contributions to this forum.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

There have been no really substantial changes to the basic investment tools for many years. As such you may find books like Quicken for Windows, The Official Guide or Quicken for Dummies or similar (check your local libraries) helpful resources. I don’t think either of those are properly up-to-date but they should be adequate.

• Elaine2
    Elaine2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you everyone for your input! Much appreciated. — Elaine :-) 🙂