How to update my checking account to use EWC+ without totally screwing up the reultant reigister.

Options
streetwolf
streetwolf Member ✭✭✭

For the longest time my Santander Bank, N.A. checking account includes transactions that have not been posted in my available balance. As a result I have to manually download updates from their website to create an OFX file. I have to be cognizant of any transactions that are in pending status. Over the years I have developed strategies to deal with this.

I would really like to use EWC+ but haven't been able to because of the aforementioned situation. It appears that the latest update might be as fix for my problem:

However, when I select to improve my connection to EWC+ and ultimately get to the point where my checking account is displayed as a new account I link it to my existing checking account. Doing this royally screws up the values in my checking account register. When I Validate and Repair my checking account I get a lot of errors about some bad transactions which were removed and an attempt to fix them only partially worked.

So what am I doing wrong? Will I ever be able to change to EWC+ or am I destined to update my transactions manually. Also, is this new feature I stated above would really solve my problem using EWC+ if I could even upgrade to it properly?

Any help on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @streetwolf,

To clean up the mess it made in your register, if you haven't done so already, please try restoring a backup from before you connected/reconnected the account.

It is possible that duplicate transactions are partly to blame for what you're seeing, since there's a risk of duplicate transactions when you connect/reconnect an account, especially if it was updating via a different connection method previously. That said, the Validate finding/fixing problems with transactions also indicates there may be file issues affecting that account that are throwing off the balance.

To troubleshoot this issue, first backup your Quicken file, then go to Tools>Add Account, follow the prompts, and instead of linking to the existing account, try adding it as a new account. Once the account is added, review it to make sure everything is correct. If it looks good, then you would want to copy/paste any missing history from the old account, and use the newly added account going forward (once the needed information is moved to the new account, you can mark the old account as separate or just delete it from your file).

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• streetwolf
    streetwolf Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I followed your instructions and my new checking account appears to be correct after messaging it a little. It is now setup to use EWC (Not the + version). However, One Step Update Settings does not have my new checking account in it's list in order to include it when I do a One Step Update. How do I get it to appear so I can select it?

• streetwolf
    streetwolf Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I just noticed that the new account while correct dollar wise most of the information such as Payee, Category, etc. are wrong. There are way to many entries to update manually. I restored a backup I made. No sense answering my last question. We were close but no cigar as they say.

UNLESS… you have an easy way to keep all the fields that changed in the new checking account to the ones I had in my old checking account.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

When you say Payee, Category, etc. are wrong, could you provide more information? How are they incorrect? Is it completely wrong information, or just not displaying the way that you prefer? Is the way it downloads consistent (the payee always downloads the same way, even though it's not correct), or does it seem random? If it's consistent, then you may be able to set up renaming rules to change it from the way it downloads back to the way you prefer for it to appear. How easy that is would depend on how many Payees you would need to set up rules for.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• streetwolf
    streetwolf Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't use renaming rules. Whatever the problem is there are so many transactions that are not the way I changed them it would be a vast undertaking to make them right. So let's close this issue. I'll keep on doing things like I have always done. Thanks for responding to my call for help.