Quicken no longer sees some of the accounts at my bank

Options
kwh
kwh Member ✭✭✭

Quicken has been successfully connected to several of my accounts at Idaho First Bank for years. A couple of weeks ago during "one-step update", Quicken told me that 4 (of the 23) accounts were no longer seen at my bank. After repeatedly running "Edit Account" → "Online Services" → "Set Up Now", Quicken eventually found and connected to 3 of the 4 missing accounts. However, it doesn't see the final missing account when running that process.

Prior to that, Quicken intermittently gave me error messages about those accounts saying the account name appears to have been changed. When I ran the "reset" process, sometimes it fixed it and sometimes it didn't.

These are a mix of personal and business accounts, as well as a mixture of checking & savings accounts. That appears to be the only difference between my accounts. Any idea what might be going on?

Version: R55-26 on Win11.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @kwh,

To assist with this issue, please answer these questions:

• Has there been any activity in the account in the last 90 days?
    • Is the account considered an external account (i.e. are you redirected to a different website when selecting the account on the bank's website)? If so, what URL are you redirected to?
    • Is the account a subtype of a different account?
    • Has the financial institution made any recent changes to its website or sign-in process?
    • Are you the owner of the account?
    • What error message/error code do you see, if any?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• kwh
    kwh Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Again, we're talking about multiple accounts at the same bank. All have been working well for quite some time, but about 3-4 accounts stopped being seen by Quicken. One bank login (ie, user/pwd) and multiple accounts show up when I login. I have a single datafile located on my C: drive.

Yes - the accounts have all had activity in the last 90 days.
    No external accounts.
    No subtypes/subaccounts.
    No changes to the bank's website or sign-in process (this has caused issues in the past, but it typically affects "all" accounts, not "some" accounts).
    Yes - I am the owner of all of the accounts
    There's no error code. There's a message that comes up during One-Step Update that says that Quicken no longer sees the "XYZ" account. Asks me questions like "Have you recently changed the name of the account?", "Have you see this error over several days?", "Would you like to reset this account?"

What's odd to me is that I can run the "reset account" multiple times and it sometimes (but not always) comes up with the missing account in the list of available accounts to re-link.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

When it sees the missing account in the list of available accounts, what happens? Are you able to connect to it, but then get that same prompt when running One Step Update, or does something else happen?

You mentioned that you've tried resetting the account and setting it back up from the Online Services tab. Let's try to connect it using a different method. First, backup your Quicken file, then, if the account thinks it's connected, deactivate it. Go to Tools>Account List. If there's an option to show hidden accounts (checkbox at the lower left of the window), select it. Review your account list to make sure there are no inactive/closed accounts that are still trying to connect in Quicken (since that can sometimes cause those "Quicken no longer sees 'XYZ' account" prompts). If there are any inactive/closed accounts that are still trying to connect, please deactivate those accounts.

Once you've checked for any inactive/closed accounts and made sure the problem account in Quicken is deactivated, go to Tools>Add Account and follow the prompts. When you get to the Add/Link screen, if it sees the account, try linking it to the existing account in Quicken.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• kwh
    kwh Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Kristina. My usual solution for these connection issues is to deactivate "every" account with the bank and then re-add each account through the "activate one-step update" window you included above. I tried that about 4 times. With 23 accounts at that bank, it takes about 30 minutes to deactivate them one-by-one and then re-link and re-connect them again.

When I try to activate them again, I'm able to use the "link to existing account" to re-connect the accounts that aren't missing, but the missing account(s) don't show up in that list. I've also tried canceling that window before re-connecting everything and re-running the "add account" sequence.

I verified that there's no "hidden accounts" that are trying to connect.

I did find a workaround however. I tried connecting Quicken to all of the accounts using my wife's login at the bank and it seemed to find everything. I'm ok for now, but something weird is going on…

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for the follow up,

Are these accounts joint accounts? If that's the case, then it's possible that it's a permissions issue, if your wife is marked as the account owner and you're marked as an authorized user. Many financial institutions don't give authorized users permission to download into 3rd party apps.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• kwh
    kwh Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Most of the accounts are for LLCs, but some are joint accounts. I've always been marked as the account owner, and I haven't had any problems with these accounts over the last couple of years until now. It's a smaller bank that knows me well, so they do a good job of supporting what I'm trying to do with Quicken.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

That is strange. Is your wife also an account owner on those accounts? It is possible that something changed with the way the financial institution is sending the information. It's also possible that it's a file issue. Do you keep your Quicken file directly on your local hard drive, or is it on a shared network drive? Is your file synced with any cloud services, such as OneDrive, iCloud, or Dropbox?

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

• kwh
    kwh Member ✭✭✭
    Options

It's on my local hard drive, and I don't synch the file with Dropbox. However, I direct all of my "Ctl-B" backups to Dropbox (which shouldn't be a factor). My wife is also an account owner, but it's good to know that there's a difference between account owner and authorized user. At some point when I have more time, I'll switch everything back to my login to see if it cleared out some inconsistencies in either the file or the credentials.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Saving backups to Dropbox shouldn't impact your main Quicken file (If you restore from one of those backups, we recommend that you move the backup to your local hard drive first, then restore the file). In fact, saving backups to a service like Dropbox is often beneficial since it reduces the odds of losing your files if anything happens to your computer.

If the issue returns while you're using your wife's login, or if switching back to your login causes the issue to come back, please let me know.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina