Importing Old Portfolio Tax Lot Data

Options

I'm using Quicken for Windows, version R55.26

I have just started using Quicken to help manage my brokerage account at Schwab. When I set things up I only received 90 days of activity from Schwab, so a vast majority of my tax lot information is missing. I know I can add this manually but that would be a huge job for 60 securities with many years of transaction history. I do have this data in an excel spreadsheet.

My question…is there any way I can utilize my Excel data and import it into Quicken? For example, can I create my own QXF file somehow to import into Quicken?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You need to make .QIF files for import since .QXF files are for import/export between QWin and QMac and .QFX files are downloaded from financial institutions for import.

QuicknPerlWiz has some good info on his site on doing imports, but keep your questions about those instructions on that website and not here. QPW is very good at providing help with his stuff.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Bill Maniscalco
    Bill Maniscalco Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the insight. I’m not familiar with the various file types. It sounds like creating a QIF file may be a possibility. I looked at QPWs site but it didn’t seem relevant to my goal. I’ll take a closer look.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I suggest that you do a QIF file export in Quicken of just a few days of a single investment account to see which data you would need to feed from your spreadsheet into the previously mentioned QIF file import software. You may or may not have enough info in your spreadsheet to do the job.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Bill Maniscalco
    Bill Maniscalco Member ✭✭
    Options

Great idea. And a small batch QIF to test any import as well. Thanks

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I looked at QPWs site but it didn’t seem relevant to my goal. 

The ImportQIF package on @Chris_QPW ‘s site will convert a csv file to a QIF that can be imported into Quicken. The process for investment transactions is more complicated than for spending accounts. Thoroughly review his site for more details. Not all transaction types will be supported.