Stop Quicken Mac from making unwanted corrections?

Options
R Strax
R Strax Member ✭✭✭

I recently made corrections to two Fidelity investment accounts. The registers on the Fidelity website were somewhat confusing, and Quicken downloaded them incorrectly. After I corrected the two accounts in Quicken, I noticed that Quicken subsequently added transactions that changed the balances. After I deleted these incorrect transactions from Quicken, it decided to put them back again. Is there someway I can stop quicken from "correcting" my corrections?

Using Mac Sonoma 14.4.1, Quicken Version 7.6.1 (Build 706.52627.100)

Tagged:

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You didn't previously state "NetBenefits". There's known issues with that

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

It's hard to know exactly what's happening without knowing the specifics, but it sounds like Quicken is trying to adjust to what it's getting from Fidelity for balance and/or holdings.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • R Strax
    R Strax Member ✭✭✭
    Options

It looks to me that quicken is trying to correct my share balances on these accounts but getting them wrong and in the process giving me incorrect dollar balances.

I keep on top of my accounts on a daily basis and reconcile them with the online accounts. I don’t need or want Quicken to make corrections. Do you happen to know if I can turn this feature off?

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Well, you can disconnect the account from downloading and enter your transactions manually. (Some of us do that, but most users want automatic downloads.)

Otherwise, it sounds like the manual transaction(s) you made or edited are making Quicken’s balance or holdings disagree with what Fidelity is reporting to Quicken, which is why it keeps trying to correct for your corrections. There’s no way to “turn off” Quicken adjusting to the balance/holdings a financial institution provides each time it connects, other than disconnecting from downloading. You might have to remove your manual changes.

Again, without seeing the data and knowing details about what you described as “confusing” on the Fidelity website, and whether your manual changes are correct or not, it’s impossible to offer more specific advice.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • R Strax
    R Strax Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you. I’ve used Quicken a long time and it seems to me that “auto reconciling“ is relatively recent.

I rely on Quicken to download my transactions for efficiency. In these cases Quicken is not downloading transactions that exist, it is adding or removing shares on its own, “hallucinating” transactions that don’t appear in my online account.

Fortunately, this is an occasional occurrence, and I can live with it *sigh*. Thanks so much, jacobs, for all your help over the years.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Q isn't hallucinating. Fidelity is downloading a position holding that differs from what you've recorded.

AS IS PROPER, Q is inputting adjustments to correct your error. There's no transaction reflecting this on the website because the error isn't ON the website … it's in your records.

I'd suggest that you figure out the source of your error rather than blaming Q.

• R Strax
    R Strax Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you, I appreciate your reply. However, my account in the Quicken register reflects correct positions as well as share and dollar balances. In two instances, upon updating, Quicken added shares making the final account balances incorrect. I’m sure Quicken thought it was doing the right thing, not actually “hallucinating“, but it threw off my account.

It happens that in the Fidelity institutional “net benefit“ section the transaction registers are stated incompletely so Quicken undoubtedly has a hard time reading them.

I thought that in the past there was a setting to tell Quicken whether or not to adjust balances. I might be wrong about that. Anyway, I think that asking before it makes adjustments in the register would certainly be reasonable.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You didn't previously state "NetBenefits". There's known issues with that