Quicken hangs when opening Password vault

Options
Diana
Diana Member ✭✭✭

Each time I try to open the Password Vault → Set up new password Vault … nothing happens and Quicken hangs. Nothing brings it back. I have to kill the process in Windows 11.

I currently have one account in the vault but have had removed the password. It is not active and is not in use. All of the other commands for the Password Vault are greyed out and I can not access them. I am unable to reset the Password Vault as a result.

Is this simply a bug? Or are other people having a similar problem with this?

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Diana,

If the other options for the password vault are greyed out, that indicates Quicken doesn't see a password vault set up for that file. Are you getting pop-ups prompting you for the vault password?

The program shouldn't be freezing when you try to set up a password vault. When did you first notice this problem? Do you recall which version of Quicken you were using when this issue started? How long does the program hang before you have to kill the process?

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Diana
    Diana Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Kristina,

I did have a password vault set up for that file and then I removed all the entries. So there is no vault set up for the file. I am not seeing any pop-ups for the vault password.

I am trying to open a vault and set it up but Quicken hangs when I try to do that. Tools > Password Vault > Set up a new Password Vault … And then nothing … Quicken does not respond to anything. I left it for 10 minutes and still no response. I have also tried ESC a few times and that does nothing.

I only started noticing this problem today. I am using the Quicken Canada version R55.15 now (just updated it today to see if it helped) but had last month's version installed this morning. Both versions have this problem.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Usually, program freezes are caused either by a program issue or by a file issue. To troubleshoot this, if you haven't done so since the issue started, please restart your computer. If the issue persists after the restart, we'll want to troubleshoot possible file issues. To start, please try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

If the validate/super validate don't correct the issue, then please try restoring a backup from before the issue started and test to see if the issue persists in the newly restored file.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• Diana
    Diana Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

I did everything you suggested. Validate - no change. Super Validate. - still hangs.

I went back to a back up version from February 15th and I could start up the Password Vault. But I'm not willing to give up 2 months worth of entered transactions, etc. just to use the password vault.

Unless you have a suggestion for exporting all of my transactions between the versions? Otherwise I'll just give up on the vault.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Since restoring a backup isn't a viable option, one other thing you can try is creating a copy of your data file, which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates. Note: Unless you believe the problem is being caused by older transactions, there is no need to shrink your file.

It's important to know that all online services will be disconnected in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID. Because of this, please test to make sure the issue is resolved before going through the work of reconnecting everything.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Diana,

I haven't heard back from you. Do you still require assistance?

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina