Quicken won't automatically split my downloaded transactions.

Options

Version: R55.15

Hello! I am looking for any ideas as to why Quicken does not automatically split my downloaded transactions.

This seems to have started when I converted from Mac to Windows. The transactions are renamed okay and my memorized payee list claims it was last used today when the transaction was downloaded, but it is not split in my register. To get around this I have right clicked the memorized payee and selected "Use". This works but defeats the purpose of auto-categorizing. I am using %Spl since the amounts vary every week

I have "Automatically enter spit data" checked in Edit>Preferences>Register. The Memorized Payees are not locked and "Never auto-categorize this payee during QuickFill or downloads" is not checked for the payee.

Am I missing something? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I think the options you have selected are what is causing the split data in your Memorized Payees to be ignored.

If you want the Categories and other settings in your Memorized Payees to stay the same each time you use them, you should set what you want in the Memorized Payee and then check the Lock box. If the amount changes from one use to the next, set it to zero in the Memorized Payee.

I think the setting at Register > Automatically enter split data is for manually entered transactions. I leave that un-checked.

If you don't want Quicken to assign the Categories it thinks are correct for downloaded transactions based on the Payee, you should un-check the During Transaction download > Automatically categorize transactions. I think this setting only applies to Payees that are NOT in the Memorized Payee list.

Make sure that your Renaming rules are set correctly so that the renamed Payees exactly match the memorized payees. For example, if the downloaded Payee is "STOP&SHOP 1234" and your renaming rule changes it to "Stop & Shop" but the Memorized Payee is "Stop and Shop", Quicken will not use the Memorized Payee.

And lastly, a recent change to Quicken changed everyone's setting in Data entry and QuickFill to "Automatically memorize new Payees". This may be helpful for new users, but if you already have the memorized payees you want, you should un-check this box. Also to use your your renaming rules and prevent them from changing, in the Downloaded transaction preferences you should check the Use my existing renaming rules box and un-check the "Automatically create rules when I rename Payees" box.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Your financial institutions don't send SPLIT info. They have no way of knowing what categories/accounts you use.

You can use Memorized Payees, or pre-download input the txn to get your splits.

And, since the downloads into QMac and QWin are identical, something else was going on when you used QMac … but the FI still wasn't sending it.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• irccasey1
    irccasey1 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your answer, I know that my FI does not send that info. I already have the split info set up in my Memorized Payees. I'm still not sure why it doesn't want to work for me. I may try making a new Quicken file to eliminate any issues that may have occurred in the conversion from QMac to QWin.

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options

I think the options you have selected are what is causing the split data in your Memorized Payees to be ignored.

If you want the Categories and other settings in your Memorized Payees to stay the same each time you use them, you should set what you want in the Memorized Payee and then check the Lock box. If the amount changes from one use to the next, set it to zero in the Memorized Payee.

I think the setting at Register > Automatically enter split data is for manually entered transactions. I leave that un-checked.

If you don't want Quicken to assign the Categories it thinks are correct for downloaded transactions based on the Payee, you should un-check the During Transaction download > Automatically categorize transactions. I think this setting only applies to Payees that are NOT in the Memorized Payee list.

Make sure that your Renaming rules are set correctly so that the renamed Payees exactly match the memorized payees. For example, if the downloaded Payee is "STOP&SHOP 1234" and your renaming rule changes it to "Stop & Shop" but the Memorized Payee is "Stop and Shop", Quicken will not use the Memorized Payee.

And lastly, a recent change to Quicken changed everyone's setting in Data entry and QuickFill to "Automatically memorize new Payees". This may be helpful for new users, but if you already have the memorized payees you want, you should un-check this box. Also to use your your renaming rules and prevent them from changing, in the Downloaded transaction preferences you should check the Use my existing renaming rules box and un-check the "Automatically create rules when I rename Payees" box.

• irccasey1
    irccasey1 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your detailed response Jim! I adjusted all of my settings to match what you stated except for Register > Automatically enter split data. I left that checked.

When I downloaded new transactions this morning, they renamed properly, Memorized payee list said that the payee was used, but the transaction appeared as uncategorized in the register. I will try unchecking that last setting to see if that may fix it.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

If you go to Tools > Memorized payee list, are there multiple entries for the Payee in question? If so, how are you selecting the one to use? Make sure the one you select has the splits you want.

I don't understand "Memorized payee list said that the payee was used" Can you describe the exact sequence you are using to select an entry from the Memorized Payee List?

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You did not say whether the failure to correctly categorize transactions only occurs with memorized split payees, or with all memorized payees.

If no payees are properly utilizing the Memorized Payee List, you should make sure the Quicken Data entry and Quickfill Preferences to "Complete fields using previous entries" and "Recall memorized payees ...." are both checked.

I just tested in release R55.26, and Quicken had no problem splitting a payee in a downloaded transaction using split percentages.

If your Preferences are all correct, I would consider deleting and re-creating the problematic memorized payee(s).

--------------------------------

Here's how the Quicken Preference to "Automatically enter split data" works.

When "Automatically enter split data" is NOT in effect;  the split transaction dialog for a register transaction will have an OK button at the bottom of the dialog. Clicking that OK button will close the split dialog, but will NOT Enter/Save the transaction.

When "Automatically enter split data" IS in effect;  the split transaction dialog for a register transaction will have an Enter button at the bottom of the dialog. Clicking that Enter button will close the split dialog, and Enter/Save the transaction.

So changing that Preference will have no effect on the problem reported here.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• irccasey1
    irccasey1 Member ✭✭
    Options

There is only 1 entry for each payee in question. It seems like after unchecking "Automatically enter split data" it seems to work how I need it to again. When I downloaded new transactions today it was automatically split, allowing me to enter the split and just change the values to the correct ones as they change every week. Thank you for your help!