Mac to Windows

Options

I'm trying to move my Quicken file from my Mac to Windows. I'm using Quicken Classic Starter. On my Mac I go to export and my only option is "Quicken Transfer File (QXF)". When I save that file, it is not an option for me to import in, as on my Windows the file formats accepted are. "QDF", "QDB", "QDT", "QDF-Backup". W

What am I missing?

Best Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 10 Answer ✓
    Options

@jacobs It's possible, but from their description it sounds like they were trying to open the backup file directly rather than import it. In particular, when they mentioned "QDF, QDB, QDT, QDF-Backup", that's what is shown on the file open menu. But I suppose they might have been trying that because the File Import menu was unavailable.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@sbaker - If you have not already seen this Support Article, you might find it helpful: https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-your-data-quicken-mac . Scroll down the page about half way to see the step-by-step instructions for Convert from Quicken for Mac to Quicken for Windows.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Jon
    edited April 10
    Options

On Quicken Windows, select File Import on the File menu and one of the options is for Quicken Transfer File (QXF). I'm assuming you need to create a new empty file first and then import your Quicken Mac data into it.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Jon Is it possible that @sbaker isn't seeing an import option for the QXF file because Quicken Starter doesn't support importing from Quicken Mac? That seems like an odd item not to be missing, but I know some features are disabled in Quicken Starter.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    edited April 10 Answer ✓
    Options

@jacobs It's possible, but from their description it sounds like they were trying to open the backup file directly rather than import it. In particular, when they mentioned "QDF, QDB, QDT, QDF-Backup", that's what is shown on the file open menu. But I suppose they might have been trying that because the File Import menu was unavailable.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@sbaker - If you have not already seen this Support Article, you might find it helpful: https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-your-data-quicken-mac . Scroll down the page about half way to see the step-by-step instructions for Convert from Quicken for Mac to Quicken for Windows.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm guessing the problem is that you are using the starter edition. I'm pretty sure that it does not have QXF import in the Windows version.

Check the menu: File → File Import to see if import for QXF file transfer format exists. Note don't confuse it with the QFX import, which is for importing transactions.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • sbaker
    sbaker Member
    Options

Thank you all . . . a variety of your answers helped me with my problem. I was trying to import in my file from the 1st time use of Quicken Windows when it asks if you want to start new file or from a backup. When you do that, you don't have that option. But once I closed out of there, I then had the option to import in my backup, which included the correct file format. Thank you again for your help!