Frequent hanging / crashing after latest update

Options

Classic Business & Personal. Downloaded the latest update last week and since then cannot access one account without crashing to desktop, and One Step Update hangs every single time at the same spot (see screenshot). Tried restoring from backup, no change. Tried validating/repairing the datafile, no change. Not a huge datafile, but months of categorizing and matching transactions so I will not be happy if I've lost all of my data. Any advice?

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @rbennett00,

If you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Someupsetuser
    Someupsetuser Member ✭✭
    Options

Signing out of Quicken caused it to crash, and then could not sign out, nor sign back in. Just made a bad situation worse. Had to go to backup file and waste more of my time.

• Someupsetuser
    Someupsetuser Member ✭✭
    Options

In fact I cannot sign in or out of either my backup file, or even a new Quicken file. I am COMPLETLEY hosed. What do I do now???

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:

1. Even if you are on the latest software level already, download and install the latest Manual Patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product to ensure your Quicken software is up to date and correctly installed.
    2. Reboot Windows. While doing so, also reboot your Internet router/modem.
    3. Start Quicken. Do not run One Step Update.
    4. Run BOTH Validate and Supervalidate to attempt to repair your Quicken data file.
    5. If nothing helps, try to restore your Quicken data file from an Automatic or Manual backup taken just prior to the problems first occurring. https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    First save a backup file prior to performing these steps
    Validate: 
    • Click File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots".
    • If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    • Click File
    • Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Supervalidate File
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Someupsetuser,

Thanks for joining this thread.

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Quicken? Please refer to the following support articles for instructions on uninstalling here and reinstalling here.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Someupsetuser
    Someupsetuser Member ✭✭
    Options

I have uninstalled Quicken, removed every Quicken file or registry entry that could be found (either by me or an uninstaller than scans for usages), rebooted the computer, reinstalled Quicken, created a new Quicken file, and I still get a blank screen. I can open a newly created empty QDF, get the Quicken menu flashing on the screen for an instant, but then reverts to the image below. A vew times I have gotten a message that prompts me to change the Quicken Userid, the only option is to type 'yes' to change it, but when I do so, things just go back to the blank screen.

I don't know if the issue is some Quicken trace on my computer that I can't find, or a fingerprint of my computer that Quicken server is associating with bad data.

• Someupsetuser
    Someupsetuser Member ✭✭
    Options

Finally got this solved, no thanks at all to Quicken support, which was useless.

I think the main thing that fixed it was uninstalling and reinstalling M

• Someupsetuser
    Someupsetuser Member ✭✭
    Options

Finally got this solved(!), no thanks at all to Quicken support which was useless.

I think the main thing that fixed it was uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Edge webview2, the internal browser used by Quicken. After trying multiple installs of Quicken in a sandbox (which worked fine), and comparing that to the non working install, I think there was something in the cache for that browser that was causing an internal exception or crash, and it was not being reported by Quicken.

I hope that info is useful to someone else.

I had also removed the Quicken ID sign-in data file which is buried/hidden under AppData\Local\IsolatedStorage in a folder with the name Publisher.1oz3w…, not sure if that was really necessary or not.

• Someupsetuser
    Someupsetuser Member ✭✭
    Options

I'd also mention that after all those crashes, and numerous validations, about 10 reconciled transactions got the transfer account changed. They used to be payments from my bank account to pay off a credit card, and they were changed to just be transfers back into the credit card account. I found that out because my bank account was not reconciling today and I had to go back to 2022 to fix things up.

Pretty scary stuff. So if you have had crashes, something else to be aware of and look for.