Add account issue (Q Mac)

Options

I'm trying to add 2 new accounts but when I do, after setting the "link to…" to the existing accounts and selecting the "Add New Account" for the new ones, Quicken proceeds to add the 2 new ones HOWEVER the existing accounts now show 0$. Am I doing something wrong??? What do I need to do to correct the issue?? Fortunately I have been able to restore from a backup which puts me back to square one.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Frank McLellan,

For clarification; are you trying to add 2 new accounts with Online Connectivity so you can download the transaction data, or do you already have 2 accounts with transaction data in it set up manually that you are now trying to set up for Online Connectivity?

Check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Frank McLellan
    Frank McLellan Member ✭✭
    Options

G'day Anja

Thank you for the quick response. Yes I was adding the 2 new investment accounts with Online Connectivity. While out this AM I thought of a potential solution and tried it when I got home. It worked. Instead of selecting "Link to…" I treated them as "new" accounts. This left the 4 existing accounts untouched while adding 6 new ones. I then deleted the 4 duplicates leaving me with the 2 that I required. I believe that all will work expected but time will tell. As an aside I feel that the "Link to…" option is somewhat deceptive as it appears to treat the existing account as a "new" account and consequently 0's out any existing data. Perhaps a "Do Nothing" choice (Leave the existing account untouched).

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for following up, I’m glad to hear you were able to find a solution and thank you for sharing it here in case it may help someone else. 🙂

If you require any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach back out!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Frank McLellan "I feel that the "Link to…" option is somewhat deceptive as it appears to treat the existing account as a "new" account and consequently 0's out any existing data."

That hasn't been my experience. There have been times when I've had to disconnect & reconnect an account, or connect a new account with a bank where I already had existing account, and I've never lost any old data or had an account suddenly zeroed out. Which bank are you having the problem with?

• Frank McLellan
    Frank McLellan Member ✭✭
    Options

G'day Jon

I don't believe that it was a bank (RBC Canada) issue but rather an incomplete understanding of how Link works. The link worked for my bank accounts where transaction are being downloaded via Quicken Connect. However transactions in my Investment Accounts are all entered manually, consequently NO downloads. I discovered this when I tried to enter transactions but found that the "Transaction" option was dimmed out. I made the necessary changes in Account Settings and all was fine. I had not had to add a new account for a loooong time and It certainly pays dividends when you have a better understanding of how things work.

And thanks, Jon, for your reply.