How do I find an "exact" amount in Quicken for Mac?

Options

In Quicken Deluxe 7.6.1 for Mac, if I search for a number — say, 9.00 as an example — it finds anything with the string 9.00, as in 19.00, 29.00, and so on. Sure I can sort the transactions, but I'd like to limit my search. I tried "9.00" but that did not work.

Is there a way?

Thanks.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Sadly, the answer is no.

Often the best way to find a specific number in a register is to click on the Amount column to sort the register from lowest to highest (or vice versa) amount, so you can quickly scroll to the dollar amount you're looking for. then click the Date heading to restore the normal date-order sorting. Yes, that's clunky, but it gets the job done. Hopefully some day in the future, the developers will add a method for exact searches in addition to the current "contains" searches.

I'd encourage you to add your vote, and optionally a comment, in this Priduct Idea thread requesting that functionality:

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

to add a little to what Jacobs by said, you can search for 9.00 and then sort by amount to greatly reduce the number of transactions you have to scroll. If you have an idea of the date range, you could also limit the search that way.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And, if you sort by the amount column, are you looking for a deposit or a withdrawal amount?
    When looking for the amount of a check or other debit or withdrawal, remember to look for a negative number, e.g., -9.00

• TLMurray74
    TLMurray74 Member ✭✭
    Options

Whether withdrawal or deposit isn't the point of the issue. If I search for 9.99 or –9.99, I should not get 19.99 and –19.99, and so on. While a complex search (less than, greater than, amount & date range, etc.) seems out of the wheelhouse of Intuit, using simple quotes should not be a burden on the programmers.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

While a complex search (less than, greater than, amount & date range, etc.) seems out of the wheelhouse of Intuit, using simple quotes should not be a burden on the programmers.

@TLMurray74 First, just FYI, Quicken hasn't been part of Intuit for the past 8 years; it's an independent company.

Second, I believe the issue its not the complexity for the programmers to implement for search options, but their desire to keep the interface simple and not confuse users. Many of us here would like to see more search options, such as quotes — or the option for exact match, or grater than/less than, or range — I think the developers have been wary of making the interface more complex with more options. Hopefully they'll find a nice middle ground between more powerful and ease-of-use in the future.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • TLMurray74
    TLMurray74 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the info about Intuit. Now, I can change my list of log-ins and passwords to read "Quicken" instead of "Intuit Quicken". Anyway, some basic search parameters do not need to change the interface; you could just use quotes, for instance. But anyway, I have my answer. Thanks.