Quicken automatically updating and connecting to RBC

Options

I am have been getting push notifications from RBC asking whether it was me logging in at approximately 1:20 am, which results in having to change my password on a regular basis as it obviously isn't me. I am using Quicken Classic and was wondering if either the app or the software on my PC connects to the bank for any reason apart from when I manually update my transactions and If it does how do I fix this?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If the account is setup for Express Web Connect, it logs in "nightly" to update transactions. There isn't any way to turn this off short of disabling Express Web Connect.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21
    Options

Your connection to RBC must be via the Express Web Connect method. Intuit (the aggregator) usually connects with EWC-connected financial institutions outside of normal business hours…typically at night. They download the financial data to their servers where it waits to be downloaded into the Quicken software when we run One Step Update or Update Now. You can read more about the different connection methods Quicken uses: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank .

Not all financial institutions support all methods. It is the financial institution that decides which connection method(s) they will support. This issue only happens with the EWC connection method.

You can ask RBC to confirm who is attempting to log into your account at that time. If they say it is Intuit you can request them to set the server to "trust" that connection. If they do that, then you should stop getting the push notifications. (I have done this with a couple of my banks in the past and they agreed to trust the connection and this issue then stopped.)

But if you continue to get push notifications, you should contact Quicken Support (or via Help > Report A Problem) telling them of the problem and asking if they can ask Intuit to request RBC to "trust" the Intuit connection.

As long as it is Intuit that is attempting to connect with RBC, there is no need for you to be changing your PW.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Justin7709
    Justin7709 Member
    Options

Thanks very much Boatnmaniac! This is great, didn't know you could get the bank to trust the connection, but this will definitely solve the issue if it is Intuit.

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This issue with RBC Canada has been going for years - unresolved. It would be great if someone could get RBC to trust the connection from the Intuit server, but I'm afraid that it will be optimistic thinking and is much easier said than done. The other option, which does work, is to turn off multi-factor authentication in RBC online banking. This does forfeit a layer of protection, but it does work.

• Phil0202
    Phil0202 Member
    Options

Spent about an hour with Quicken and RBC Tech Support. RBC confirms "I have to live with it" attitude and they cannot add Quicken as a trusted server despite that recommendation from Quicken. Only option is removing multi-factor authorization.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

That's the same conclusion I arrived at a couple years ago. I disabled MFA so that I could continue using Express Web Connect… and I'm not entirely comfortable with MFA being disabled. I shouldn't have to compromise security to use basic Quicken functions.

The other option is to use Web Connect instead of Express Web Connect. Web Connect is much less convenient, but it is a more secure approach.

I wish Quicken would make Direct Connect available in Canada for the major Canadian financial institutions. I've never been able to obtain an explanation of why this isn't offered. Some fellow SuperUsers assert that Direct Connect is prohibited by Canadian laws, but on one that has made that claim has ever been able to substantiate the claim in any way. Whenever I ask why we can't get Direct Connect for major Canadian financial institutions there is radio silence (other than the unsubstantiated claims about legal issues).

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I wish Quicken would make Direct Connect available in Canada for the major Canadian financial institutions.

I don't think this is really Quicken Inc's or even Intuit's decision again it is just something that the financial institutions will not support.

I do wonder if Express Web Connect + will ever be rolled out to the Canadian financial institutions (which they have to approve/add support for). Like Direct Connect it is a proper server protocol and not something like Express Web Connect which is "login as the user". Express Web Connect + instead uses OAuth2 rotating security tokens between Intuit's servers and the financial institution.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Arctic Hare
    Options

Let me reframe my position… I hope that Canadian Quicken users gain access to a better transaction download protocol than what is currently offered. Web Connect is inconvenient and Express Web Connect is fraught with issues. I would happily pay a modest service fee in order to be able to use a better protocol. Having never been able to use either Direct Connect or EWC+, I don't have much of an opinion on which is better. My point is that I quite dissatisfied with what we presently have; I want the option of using a better protocol, even if there is a cost for such.