Download recent transactions after restoring a backup

Options

I am using Quicken classic Business & Personal, version R55.26, build 27.1.55.26 on Windows 10.

Virtually all the data in my Quicken file is downloaded (via One Step Update, "OSU") from my financial institutions. I only enter transactions by hand when a transaction fails to download or I need to add a memo or other information to the downloaded transaction from the financial institution.

Recently I discovered that the opening balances in several of the accounts in my Quicken file mysteriously changed, but I didn't recognize the problem for weeks. I have several backups and I hunted through them for the last backup with correct opening balances. To hunt, I changed the backup extension from ".QDF-backup" to ".QDF" and sucessively opened the backups in Quicken.

Question 1: Is it wrong or dangerous to change the extension ".QDF-backup" to ".QDF" and then open the backup file in Quicken? If I restore a backup in this fashion and subsequently make it my new Quicken file going forward, will that cause problems?

I discovered that my most recent backup with correct opening balances was dated 2024-03-17. I would like to start with this backup and use OSU to restore my post 2024-03-17 transactions, so I don't have to enter those transactions by hand. Unfortunately, OSU has only downloaded my recent transactions, leaving a gap in my data.

Question 2: Is there a way to download all my post 2024-03-17 transactions to the 2024-03-17 Quicken backup file that I am trying to make into my new Quicken file going forward?

Best Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

There's a known issue in Q that when you change download methods (e.g., Direct Connect to Web Connect), the opening balance sometimes gets changed.

That's why it's recommended that you enter the correct amount in the Memo field of each "Opening Balance" transaction. So that, if it happens again, you can quickly get the proper amount re-input.

Q1) A backup file, as you've discovered, is perfectly useable. It's a copy of your QDF at the time of the backup, so there's no harm in what you did. It's suggested, however, that rather than changing the file name, you use Q's FILE, "View/Restore Backups" function. This way, you'll still have the intact backup file just in case.

Re: your transactions. It's a bit unusual that your download went back such a short period (90 days is customary … but this is determined by the Financial Institution, NOT Quicken). Is this true of ALL of your accounts?

Q2) See if your FI's will permit you to download manually from their website. See this FAQ re: this option:

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you know the correct Opening Balance from the information in the backup, why not just correct your current data file's OBs?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

There's a known issue in Q that when you change download methods (e.g., Direct Connect to Web Connect), the opening balance sometimes gets changed.

That's why it's recommended that you enter the correct amount in the Memo field of each "Opening Balance" transaction. So that, if it happens again, you can quickly get the proper amount re-input.

Q1) A backup file, as you've discovered, is perfectly useable. It's a copy of your QDF at the time of the backup, so there's no harm in what you did. It's suggested, however, that rather than changing the file name, you use Q's FILE, "View/Restore Backups" function. This way, you'll still have the intact backup file just in case.

Re: your transactions. It's a bit unusual that your download went back such a short period (90 days is customary … but this is determined by the Financial Institution, NOT Quicken). Is this true of ALL of your accounts?

Q2) See if your FI's will permit you to download manually from their website. See this FAQ re: this option:

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you know the correct Opening Balance from the information in the backup, why not just correct your current data file's OBs?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• SlyGuy
    SlyGuy Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks NotACPA and splasher for your assistance.