Quicken renames downloaded "Payee" transactions. No renaming rules exist.

Options
ROMAY
ROMAY Member ✭✭

Having tons of issues with my old Quicken file, (and spending many hours on the phone with quicken support) I finally just created a new instance of Quicken. All was going well until…

I have no renaming rules set but Quicken is renaming my downloads which messes with my Memorized Payee list that categorizes my transactions. When I hover of the transaction, I get a pop up that gives the new name of the transactions, "… Renamed from: " and the original name that my Memorized Payee list is looking for.

My "corrupted" version of quicken did use renaming rules and I think that may be where quicken is getting it from?

Please! Any way to clean this up?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In an account with this issue, Click the Gear icon in the upper right corner, click Register Columns and select "Downloaded Payee name".

Can you show us a couple of transactions, the dates and names only, of a few transactions that were changed?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• ROMAY
    ROMAY Member ✭✭
    Options

Upon further investigation, it was discovered that Quicken has implemented an "Automatic Categorization Engine (ACE)" which alters the names of your downloaded transactions. This can be frustrating as you might expect one payee name, but Quicken modifies it. I have payees memorized with specific categories assigned to them.

How can I stop Quicken from doing this?

See enclosed pictures.

• ROMAY
    ROMAY Member ✭✭
    Options

P.S. When I clicked the Gear icon in the upper right corner, I did not get the "Register Columns" or the "Downloaded Payee name" option.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25
    Options

hmmmm - when displaying the Register for a Quicken Account ….. the Gear should bring up these menus -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Upon further investigation, it was discovered that Quicken has implemented an "Automatic Categorization Engine (ACE)" which alters the names of your downloaded transactions.

When there isn't a matching renaming rule this preference is check and used if selected (this is part of ACE the other part is the automatic categorization if no memorized payee is matched, and the automatic categorization preference is on):

Note that ACE doesn't kick in all the time because the list of payees isn't 100%, as such this might appear to be account dependent when in fact it isn't.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • ROMAY
    ROMAY Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you so much for your help. I will make sure the "Automatically apply quicken suggestion…" block is unchecked before I download again.

When I click on the gear icon on the top left of quicken, I get this menu. Not the one Qwin gets for some reason.

Also, If I checkmark the ‘Never Auto-categorize” block in the Memorize payee menu,

will the categories I assigned to the transactions in the memorized payee list still work?

Once again, THANKs!!

• ROMAY
    ROMAY Member ✭✭
    Options

Oh heck! I was clicking the wrong gear! Just found the one you were referring to. :-)

• ROMAY
    ROMAY Member ✭✭
    Options

So I have all the downloaded options off.

And here are the results of the downloaded names suggestion.

So quicken is still changing my downloaded transactions. 😡

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

We'll all I can say is that it shouldn't be changing the payee's name if the "Use my existing renaming rules" and "Automatically apply Quicken's suggested name to payee" are off.

So, that leaves my last "long shot", by any chance do you have Sync to Mobile/Web on?

It might be mucking with the payee's name.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • ROMAY
    ROMAY Member ✭✭
    edited April 27
    Options

Yes I do have Mobile Web on.

I have been back and forth with this problem, using a few test instances so I don't mess up my real instance of quicken.

This chat has been very helpful and at least we have narrowed down where the problem exists. I may end up on chat with quicken to make them figure it out from here. (They were clueless when I first address this problem.)

Thanks TONS for the help!!!